LED Gaslight

HairlessHipster

Hey all,

I have some practical wall fittings in my set that are similar to these clamshell sconces:

http://www.vintagehardware.com/proddetail.php?prod=ANT-534

The piece is set in the era of gas light, so although the light source is hidden in these fittings, I'm trying to replicate the colour temperature, and flicker of a gas flame, without the hassle of real gas. My current thought was to use 2 x small (10cm) strips of 6ch Led tape. (RGB + WW + CW) I'm hoping this combination will enable me to produce a decent colour temp, as well as a flicker. Does this sound like it would work to you guys, if not, any better suggestions?

Yes, it's a very pale greenishness, just edging onto pale cyan. Have a look at the very pale greens of the Lee filter set There's one called White flame green (L213, which is actually for correcting carbon arcs) which gives you a good feel for the colour of a gas mantle.

Edit: Fixed word order.

If INCANDESCENT gas light is to be simulated, then yes a very light green is required. Do you have access to a camping lantern that burns LPG or liquid fuel ? If so, then that is the colour of light that you need to achieve. An incandescent gas light should not flicker* unless defective.

I have achieved a good simulation of incandescent gas light by use of a low powered electric lamp that has been painted with lemon yellow dayglow paint, dayglow paint although not intended for this application works well as it transmits light quite well.

If however you wish to simulate a yellow flame gas light, as used before incandescent mantles, then a yellower effect is needed, similar to the colour of a candle flame but very slightly whiter. Also should not flicker*.

*I am old enough to remember gas lighting in regular use, and would assure you that it did not flicker unless defective. Electric lights flickered more ! gas pressure was much more constant than electrical voltage. However these days flickering seems to be expected.

Having actually had gas lights in my childhood home (my dad was a gas lighting fan) I can describe them as being a surprisingly bright white with a tinge of green and virtually no flicker at all. Perhaps just a tiny intensity undulation with local gas pressure.

A cold white LED lamp with a very light green filter to nudge the colour in the right direction could work. But it depends on whether you want the lights to look realistic or "theatrical".

For mantle lamps I've used small cold white LED capsule lamps, with a wrap of Lee Minus Green or similar, and a wrap of heavy frost round the lot to make it look a bit like a glowing mantle. It looked right to my eyes, and our very exacting props master approved too.

Naked gas flame lamps I've taken a similar approach but with warm leds and a not quite saturated yellow/orange gel - I've always managed to persuade the designer to go for a frosted fitting so I can get away with an orb of glowing flame, rather than needing a realistic flame.

Thanks everyone for your help! (This might need to be a new topic?)...

In another area we want to re-create some units that look like an open flame. Similar to this sort of look:

https://www.notonthehighstreet.com/u/sign-out

The public will be able to get within a few feet of these, so I’d like it to look as real as possible. Are there any light fittings that you would recommend? I have tried a few of the LED matrix fittings, but none seem to fit the bill. Worst case I’ll just cover the units up with some frost and fake it another way, but that feels like a cop out!

Thanks

Minus green or plus green?

The previous post stated minus green, but IMHO they are mistaken. To turn white light into simulated incandescent gas light needs a light green filter, "plus green" colour correction filter would serve. Use of minus green filter will give a light magenta light that is nothing like gas light.

Drifting a little O/T I have placed "minus green" filter in front of an ACTUAL gas light so as to facilitate filming by a mixture of actual gas light and electric light.

Light from a thorium coated gas mantle is pale green, whatever the heat source, even modern mantle lamps are green. The colour comes from the thoria produced the first time the mantle is lit.

Whether the audience will even notice the colour.... We are all acclimatised to the colours of LED and CFL lamps that "white" is a very variable colour. Maybe consider some contrasting tint of white elsewhere.

The previous post stated minus green, but IMHO they are mistaken.

I am of course mistaken. Reply with haste (typing on a phone on a moving tram), regret at ease ;)

I think last time I used L245, probably as much because it was in stock as anything else. Rosco 388 might've been a better choice.

I've used #388 to simulate light coming from Victorian gas streetlights. Can't claim to have done any in-depth research, choice based on the facts that 1) it's called gaslight green, 2) play was set mid 19thC, so gaslight prevalent, and 3) most importantly it looked nicely sinister coming through lots of DF50 haze. I think it's called 'artistic licence'. More seriously, wasn't there a pub in Hampstead that still has gas lights? I think it was the Holly Bush, but you may have to try a few before you find the right one on your research field-trip...??

Archived