Flying glass or plastic bottles

Jade&Ro

For our third year production of Hangmen we are wanting to fly 233 bottle above our set.

How would we safely fly either glass or plastic beer bottles above a stage with the rope that is attached to them potentially representing a noose?

What is the easiest way to ensure that they stay upright and do not lean?

A suspension rope is straight, but a noose isn't? We'd need details of the type of rope - I guess being 3rd year uni students you've probably researched dynamic modulus/stiffness and static modulus/stiffness and are attempting to match this to the PET/PLA figures for the bottle? I can't help with the glass bottle idea because only a plonker would suspend glass above people's heads, so that's probably just somebodies idea of a joke.

If you could explain the noose idea we can perhaps work through your figures and confirm if your idea is doable. You also need to detail what they're being suspended from as that impacts conservation of energy calcs - and could make the entire feature operate as an unintentional Newton's Cradle.

Ignoring the safety concerns about flying glass over people's heads for a second (I agree with Paul). Assuming you can find a safe item to hang that looks the way you want it to look....

I'd be looking in to clear epoxy resins. Forget the noose as part of the attachment method. You're never going to get enough friction between the rope and the neck to attach safely. Fly the bottle on a straight length of rope and attach a noose later as a purely aesthetic thing. I'd be experimenting with sticking the rope in to the bottle, then filling the bottle around it with clear epoxy. Let it go off and then you should have a bottle stuck to a length of rope. The bottle will now be heavier than it started, which is something to think about in terms of your loadings, but will also help the bottle to hang straight and upright. The epoxy may well also help your risk assessments if you feel that it'll help "stick" the bottle (whatever material you use) together and make it less prone to shattering, but that's completely over to you (and maybe some experimenting?). If you're using plastic bottles then it'll give them the weight they need to not swing in the wind as soon as somebody opens a door backstage.

Archived