wireless mic recommendations, please!

natjones

One of our radio mic transmitters is becoming increasingly unreliable. We've replaced the aerial and swapped mics, moved the receiver, still getting interference. My PM has asked me to look into replacements, replacing like for like, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations, please? It's to replace an older Sennheiser SK300 - G1.

Is it possible to simply replace the transmitter, as long as I find one that matches the frequency of the receiver, or is it worth just getting a whole new set?

Does anyone have any wireless mics that they would recommend over Sennheisers? Any preference over newer models that use digital signals, like the Evolution?

I am a lampy by training, so I bow to the superior knowledge of noisies.

I'd want to discover the nature of the interference before assuming that new equipment would perform better.

The G1s can tune to frequencies that are now occupied by digital TV broadcasts - are you sure you're on a frequency that you're licensed or free to use?

I still regularly use G2 and G3 systems so wouldn't hesitate to recommend them; I'm not sure I'd suggest anything else "over" them unless the application was quite specific.

I'd want to discover the nature of the interference before assuming that new equipment would perform better.

The G1s can tune to frequencies that are now occupied by digital TV broadcasts - are you sure you're on a frequency that you're licensed or free to use?

I still regularly use G2 and G3 systems so wouldn't hesitate to recommend them; I'm not sure I'd suggest anything else "over" them unless the application was quite specific.

When we replicated the problem, we used a G3 mic on the same person, in the same place alongside the faulty transmitter. We are licensed for the frequencies that we use, and we tried different ones, so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Apart from the G3s etc, is there anything else that you think is a reliable, comparable system? Just wondering if we should be brand loyal, or if there are any alternatives that people have used.

I'll always second any suggestion for Trantec S5's. I own 24 of them and they've been brilliant. Lots to be had cheap on eBay and the like as well.

Alternatively Sennheiser's new G4's are coming in pretty cheap brand new when compared to what similar G2, G3 and (probably) G1 systems cost when new.

I'll always second any suggestion for Trantec S5's. I own 24 of them and they've been brilliant. Lots to be had cheap on eBay and the like as well.

Alternatively Sennheiser's new G4's are coming in pretty cheap brand new when compared to what similar G2, G3 and (probably) G1 systems cost when new.

And dont worry about broken battery doors on the Trantecs, they are easy to replace and readily available. I bought a few from Connevans last week. I have also worked out how to repair them.

I’m 3d printing my own improved Trantec battery doors now! :)

But yes, the doors are the one week link. Otherwise very robust packs. Open them carefully (don’t let the doors ping) and they’ll last well. Seconds to replace too. I tend to put a bit of LX tape over all of my battery doors but tbh I do that on all of my mic packs anyway.

I’m 3d printing my own improved Trantec battery doors now! :)

But yes, the doors are the one week link. Otherwise very robust packs. Open them carefully (don’t let the doors ping) and they’ll last well. Seconds to replace too. I tend to put a bit of LX tape over all of my battery doors but tbh I do that on all of my mic packs anyway.

I was looking for an excuse to get a 3D printer! Are you willing to share the design file?

Archived