truss

zonino

Hi,

at the band gigs I do at uni, we have a completely mobile rig, stage, truss, the works.

at these gigs I find that 99% of the time its very hard to light the band members at the front who always seem to want to be in the audience so it seems, standing as far forward as they can!

the gig im planning at the moment is going to be a truss box on truss legs (rather than stands) and the truss legs are usually inline with the speakers and the front of the stage,

im considering an overhang of say a metre to get the front row of par cans out further from the stage to give a better angle to the stage, what would peoples thoughts on this be?

heres a pic to show what I mean,

http://www.zonino.co.uk/stan/overhang%20pic.JPG

thanks,

Stan

This is something that we really cannot answer for you!

Not enough information to start with (sizes? weights? truss system?), plus it could lead to liability issues...

Anyway, in short, this can be done, but you need to determine whether the truss will remain stable and whether the bending moment on the extended piece of truss is within the capabilities of the truss used.

Your best bet is probably to go to the people you are hiring the truss from and see if they can help. If it's entirely the venue's truss you probably need to find either the guy in your venue who looks after such things and ask their advice.

All I can say for certain is that the load you can put on the extended piece will be greatly reduced from what you could put on an inline piece.

How much? No idea.

that guy is me ;-) its our truss, basically the box is going to be:

8 m wide

depth of 4 metres, extension of 1 metre,

I know I can work out what the limits n stuff are, I just wanted to check if there's anything else I need to think about that I've forgotton!

the minimum its going to be is astralite, but it is much more likely to be a box truss of some type,

thanks for the input

I don't think astralite would cut the mustard. Especially if it's not box section.

Stupid question, why not move the front legs forward to the the corners of your overhang? so in effect, just extending the whole thing by a metre. Worried about people climbing up it? build a ply box around the bottom to prevent people doing so.

Edit: stupid comment removed

[snip]... (edit:) with barbed wire around the top to prevent people doing so.

You'd never get that to fly with your insurance company.

Apparently you can even be held liable for injuries to a trespasser if you put barbed wire on the top of a wall at the edge of your property.

My mum was going to do that to stop local chavs from climbing over the drystone wall at the bottom of our garden to steal the apples. I think several of them must have been injured anyway as the problem she had was rebuilding the wall every time they knocked bits of it over.

Anyway, when she looked into getting barbed/razor wire the builder's merchants gave dire warnings...

We grew a huge hedge in the end - I spent several days last year trimming it back to get some sun on the veg garden.

[snip]... (edit:) with barbed wire around the top to prevent people doing so.

You'd never get that to fly with your insurance company.

Apparently you can even be held liable for injuries to a trespasser if you put barbed wire on the top of a wall at the edge of your property.

Now isn't that just rediculous. :D

David

Getting a bit off topic now but, surely if the apropriate signage was displayed on your perimeter wall Eg: Warning: Barbed wire in use for crime prevention purposes. Would that not stand in your favour?

You should draw up what you want to do and with what weights you want to apply where, then contact the truss manufacturer. They will be able to approve (or not) your structure and advise you of what you might need to do in order to safely achieve what you want. A small cantelever such as you propose is achievable, it is just a question of matching the truss to your weight requirements.

In my experience, the difficulties I have had with structural engineers is that mostly they do not understand the industry and how it operates, because they operate mostly in a different environment, and as an industry, we are very reticent to accept the advice of persons from outside.

Barbed wire around truss legs, anti climb paint, what utter, utter nonsense. The punters should not have any access to any part of the structure. The solution is barricade and security. Climbing is not the only danger, if the leg is displaced by horizontal force applied to it the structure may become unstable.

thanks for the advice guys :-) will find out what type of box truss it is im hiring then phone up the manufacturers in the morning, this may of course not happen if I can't get any more power routed!!!

the bracings a good idea, hadn't thought of that! easy enough to do as well,

theres not going to be much on the front, but theres going to be about 6 macs (minimum 250's), 12 can bars + strobe on the back, as oppose to 2 can bars on the front and 3 4-lamp stage blinders on the front (im having mac's there too but not on the overhang)

Archived