Laptop audio feed problem and loop system

SceneMaster

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The auto battery things usually work by sensing if an input is attached. So if you unplug the input cable end of every service you will be fine.

Do you mean unplug the cable from the DI or unplug the cable from the laptop? If it is from the laptop this will be done but from the DI it will be permanently plugged in.

Is this DI any good?

I also can't seem to find a decent switch for the mute does anyone know of any and what type I should used in regards to pole and throw?

Usually they work by when the plug is pushed in it moves a switch contact so you would have to unplug the cable from the DI, alternatively use a PSU to power it, do try powering it from the phantom power too it might work.

I presume shorting the signal in the mute switch won’t cause too much problem for the DI or the mixer. Will the DI20 do and not add noise to the signal for this situation, it is only going to be used for the PC and surely it will improve the current situation regardless?     

Short the input side, from the laptop into the DI, if I recall correctly. This way, it shouldn't cause too much of a problem for you. It shouldn't do funny things to the mixer that way, either.

I also can't seem to find a decent switch for the mute does anyone know of any and what type I should used in regards to pole and throw?

I'd say a DPDT switch (double pole double throw) toggle should be just fine.

E.G: http://www.dse.co.nz/isroot/dse/images/products/P7670.GIF

Or an RS part: 134-1093 perhaps

EDIT: Scenmaster, that switch will be fine, if it's on the laptop (unbalanced) side rather than the balanced. Then you only need one switch. Alternatively, I'm sure RS have 4pole 2throw switches,....

Ok, just last time I ordered a DPDT the tow central pins were a signal common and the two sets of outside poles were each of the outputs in double through but there was no isolation between them as in both pins were live even though only one common was connected. I would need there to be effectively two circuits being switched for a stereo feed without them connecting I though this is what a DPDT switch does but this didn’t happen with the one I brought.

You thought correctly, may have been a mis-labelled switch.

DPDT, as I'm sure you know, is double pole. Hence two isolated poles. They also use DPDT switches for mains on/off in some circuits. Wouldn't be much good if it shorted active/neutral together!! :D

In addition to all the advice given, try feeding the loop from a mic, rather than from the aux out of the mixer. When I saw the name "Australian Monitor" a cold shudder went through me, and memories of burning amplifiers. That's plural. Brrrr!!

I use a laptop for my show and have no problems at all. When I first used the laptop. which is a Toshiba Satellite, I plugged into the headphones out jack and into my board. It worked, but there was some noise.

HOwever, I purchased an external sound card by sound blaster. It uses USB sound and Two RCA outs into two channels on my board. There is no noise and it works a treat.

It is about £50 for the card. Believe me, it works.

Emo Systems make a stereo passive DI box.  Rugged and reliable.

I'll 2nd that. You can drive tanks over them. (Not tried that, in truth...) Available in single or dual channel.

On the USB output device theme, I have recently bought a Tascam US-122. This provides not only a stereo output (unfortunatly unbalanced), but headphones and midi too. The real plus point is that it has 'proper' microphone inputs, with phantom power, alongside midi, line and instrument inputs. So if you want a more flexible box of tricks this may be worth a look.

In addition to all the advice given, try feeding the loop from a mic, rather than from the aux out of the mixer. When I saw the name "Australian Monitor" a cold shudder went through me, and memories of burning amplifiers. That's plural. Brrrr!!

The loop will be through a mic soon, it always was until the install and when the loop amp got relocated. I believe it is a Shure boundary mic rigged up on the wall (this is what has always been used and apparently works well) I will relocate the wire for this and plug it into the new stage box to go to the loop amp. Would you suggest not feeding the loop from the mixer at all (reasons)?

Anyway what is wrong with Australian Monitor mixers and how did they kill your amps? I didn’t quote them for the install I was just quoted them as we needed an easy to use, rack mounted mixer for normal church use, as well as our full mixer for the youth band (which we are still raising the money for and won’t get for a while :huh: but when it comes it will probably be a soundcraft or even better an Allen and Heath :()

This is quite worrying that our normal mixer has burned amps in the past, could you fill me in on details? This mixer seems ok so fair and is going to get a lot of heavy use over the next few years.

Edit: Spelling

Archived