Which Zarges?

Amy Worrall

Random thoughts from a miserable old git.

Why is someone considering buying their own set of Zarges for use in theatres? Surely the venues need to supply adequate safe means of work at height?

Why would anyone need to carry them around on roofracks on passenger cars, perhaps small ones? Again, surely the venues must have suitable means of doing the work?

Yes a 10 rung should do the job but I think this may be a case of; why solve this problem when it is someone else's problem.

Amy says in her profile she does amateur theatre. I know many amateur groups who bring their own ladders, often it's a safer option than the dodgy ancient steps available in the village hall or wherever it is, many places don't have anything at all. So I think it's a valid question.

Random thoughts from a miserable old git.

Why is someone considering buying their own set of Zarges for use in theatres? Surely the venues need to supply adequate safe means of work at height?

Why would anyone need to carry them around on roofracks on passenger cars, perhaps small ones? Again, surely the venues must have suitable means of doing the work?

Yes a 10 rung should do the job but I think this may be a case of; why solve this problem when it is someone else's problem.

@timsabre has it right, this is for amateur stuff. Most frequently I'll be using it to focus my winch stands, but there's one venue I use that has pipes that we can hang on, but no means to access them.

Amy

It's also pretty common for music venues to expect touring productions to bring their own access equipment. Not because they don't own any of their own but on account of worries about liability.

One of my local venues keeps a Zarges and a couple of A-frames under lock and key since an unfortunate incident a few years back when a visiting technician on a tour borrowed one, fell off it doing something stupid and then sued the venue for lending him the ladder in the first place. The venue's insurer made no effort to contest the claim, settled out of court and jacked up the premiums the following year.

Archived