Safe Distance Lighting Fixture Label Symbols

Don Allen

I want to make labels from my LED fixtures and I am looking to create a safe distance symbol such as on this Martin Rush Martin Rush rear .

Does anyone know of an easy free way of making up graphics please to insert into a label.

I now know it is needed for some LED fixtures as I evaluated an eprofile HP recently. I stood the fixture up on the lens while manually setting it to full power and within a short time the wooden stage floor varnish started heating up enough to smell hot. The light output is hot on the palm of my hand directly in front of the lens. The fixture does not have a CE marking or a safe distance label which it obviously needs!

One of the first sentences in the manual is "The products referred to in this manual conform to the European Community Directives and are there-fore marked with CE." But the fixture itself doesn't have the mark on it?

Would something as simple as MS Paint do the job to create a simple graphic? It has basic shape tools. You can then output a jpg to import into your label making software of choice.

I see no harm in adding additional labelling to warn of hot surfaces etc, however you definitely should not mark in such a way it suggests it conforms to some standard unless there is proof it has been officially approved to that standard.

Indeed. I'd be highly wary of chinese kit claiming it has something but doesn't.

It is essentially a S4 knock-off, after all. The resellers also have a habit of taking another products manual and reprinting it verbatim without checking its content.

If it isn't stamped CE, then it isn't.

Are you planning to get these printed on vinyl labels or similar (with holes cut for connectors) or are you just after rectangular labels? Rectangular labels - use word or excel - you could make the basic symbols on the back of that rush fixture just using the shapes available in office.

If you are planning to design a full-back label which is vinyl cut - inkscape

If it isn't stamped CE, then it isn't.

To be clear, the CE mark must be applied to the equipment or it's rating plate. If this is not possible, for example because of the nature of the product or its size, then it is permissible for the CE mark to appear on any packaging or on the accompanying documentation.

In addition, all electrical equipment must have a rating plate showing things like the working voltage, power consumption etc.

Unfortunately the EK eprofile HP is an example of the trend for importers to not worry about documentation to prove compliance, assuming it is compliant.

The distance label is for my own use. I have some fixtures that did not meet Australian Standards, which is the same as CE standards for those familiar with standards documentation. For those that are not familiar, the Australian Standards refer to the European Standards at the front of the standard, that they are derived from. I have copies of the relevant Australian Standards and have made the equipment compliant with Australian Standards apart from the compliance label. So the next step is to have a suitable label printed. It is not worth having provision for connectors etc, but I would like a durable label.

...and have made the equipment compliant with Australian Standards apart from the compliance label. So the next step is to have a suitable label printed.

That's brave. You have, in effect, taken on the role that the importer is legally responsible for. Affixing a compliance label is only going to reinforce that. I'd be checking what my insurance said as the buck will now stop firmly with you. And I say this as someone who has been dealing with making sure equipment meets international standards since before the CE mark was introduced.

How would you know what clearance to put though, if it is not stated by the manufacturer?I know Australia is more relaxed about things like this than we are getting to be here in UK, but I would be wary of affixing home made safety labels to things.

The "professional" company supplying this light have put a single line Keep any inflammable material at a safe distance from the fixture in the front of the user manual, which lacks clarification.

I will be doing an evaluation by measuring the temperature of the surface of a piece of flammable material in front of the fixture in a controlled environment to ensure combustion does not occur, then document my results and make the safe distance label suit the fixture.

Archived