Giants boots

Bron

Our group are putting on Jack and the Beanstalk this year, has anyone any tips on making a giant's Boots? Or any info on how they staged this Pantomime. We are a small village hall production. Thanks in anticipation.

Blimey. That brings back memories. When I was but a lad, I had a job in the school holidays as a stage hand for Jack & the Beanstalk at the Marlowe Theatre in Canterbury. Must have been early 70s. Huge boots, wood framework, papier mache covering, and a pair of regular boots screwed to the framework inside. That was when I learned how to make custard pies out of shaving foam sticks. I remember a great bit of business with Jack's mum trying to throw the beans (sack filled with screwed up paper) out of the 'windows' of the set, and three stage hands, one at each window, throwing the bags back in. And where I discovered that they 'cleaned' the grid by setting off a big maroon and sweeping up the cloud of dust that descended. Apologies for the descent into nostalgia!

What do these boots have to do? I immediately thought of our production from many moons ago where we had a pair of Giant's boots sticking out of the ground as if he had fallen from the beanstalk and was now embedded in the ground head first (A good way of showing the dead giant without too much effort). But perhaps yours are to be worn? If so, tell us about the rest of the giant outfit. Stacked boots? Dura Stilts? Human Pyramid?

Archived