Monitor Dilemma

richie1575

Hello All,

My current monitoring system consists of 4no Mackie SRM450mk1 (Made in Italy and considered by some to be better than the subsequent revisions)!

Whilst accepting sound is very subjective, I and my band are happy with the sound from these. The downside is they are rather heavy and I'm getting old!

I'm pondering replacing with RCF ART310a (mark 4). My question is- will they give a similar SPL to the Mackies? On paper. they appear pretty good, loads of 5-star "reviews" out there and certainly nice and light- but I am wondering how they'll be in reality compared to the SRM450's.

Anyone familiar with them?

Ta!

Richie

Anyone familiar with them?

Yes. I have a pair. Although I'm not sure what 'mk' they are. They're certainly the ones with the digital amp which RCF moved to when the price of Neodymium shot through the roof a couple of years back necessitating a move back to ferrite magnets.

My question is- will they give a similar SPL to the Mackies? On paper. they appear pretty good, loads of 5-star "reviews" out there and certainly nice and light- but I am wondering how they'll be in reality compared to the SRM450's.

I've never sat them next to SRMs but they go surprisingly loud for such a small box. The bottom end is also there and not lacking. I've used them on dance shows for a 200-300 audience without any problems as well as outdoors. Mine live in the proper RCF 'bag' which are well made. I like the fact that I can carry one in each hand, with a pair of stands slung over my shoulder, for a nice easy carry-in.

Hi Richie,

if you were close you'd be welcome to pop over and have a listen.

Brian

Brian, if I wasn’t up in Liverpool, I’d love to!

All being well my own arrrive tomorrow complete with expensive but necessary covers!

I’m out on Friday night so looking forward to trying them out!

Richie

Archived