MagicQ with Velleman

Robertdazzler

Hi All

I am trying to use MagicQ with the Velleman VM1116/K8062 USB-DMX unit but cannot get any DMX out. The Velleman unit is known to work fine but I am missing something! Can anyone tell me in the simplest of terms how to achieve an output. Velleman is supposed to be supported on magicQ and should boot up OK as no drivers seem to be needed I have selected Velleman as the dongle and am using Windows7. Please keep answers simple for a 71 year old.

Have you actually set the DMX universe 1 interface to Velleman? You need to do this before MagicQ will use your interface. You may also have to enable DMX output as well.

Edit: I’ve just had a quick look on the Velleman forums, and apparently there are a few issues using the K8062 under Windows 7. One solution that has been reported to work is to use a powered USB hub between the interface and your pc.

Have you actually set the DMX universe 1 interface to Velleman? You need to do this before MagicQ will use your interface. You may also have to enable DMX output as well.

Edit: I’ve just had a quick look on the Velleman forums, and apparently there are a few issues using the K8062 under Windows 7. One solution that has been reported to work is to use a powered USB hub between the interface and your pc.

Thanks this is the best/only advice I have had so far. The Velleman k8062 works OK with the software provided with it but the program is very limited. The k8062 gives DMX out with Art Net but with magicQ that I prefer to use.Are you telling me that it needs more power than a PC USB can provide to drive other vendors software? If that is the case then a powered device seems the way to try. I don't have one but they are not expensive.

A normal classic USB socket on a PC or even more so on a laptop is very limited in power available and voltage stability. For a few devices especially older external CD drives a cable with two usb plugs was standard. Providing an external power supply to a USB extension can be a way round this.

I don’t think that using an external hub has anything to do with the amount of current the Velleman interface draws. I’ve sucessfully used mine with a laptop running XP.

If you don’t have anything patched, then MagicQ won’t have anything to output. Since you’ve had the example app working, I don’t think you’re having driver issues. Try patching something in MagicQ and see if the LED on the interface starts flashing.

Thanks for rapid response. I too have used an XP laptop with the velleman dongle and DMX Lightplayer with success but no go with MagicQ. It constantly flashes up the message " P1 inhibit INV Net" I don't know what this means or how to deal with it. Could this be the problem?

I have punched many keys now and magicQ seems to remember that so difficult to clear back to a default state. I also did not think a powered hub would help but have ordered one anyway. When I said "no DMX output" I meant the transmission lied on the k8062 does not flash at all. With Art net I do see an output but the dimmer rack does not respond. Apologies for this apparent drivel but I am a rank amateur and am having trouble making the transition from my beloved strand MX48 to software.

Apologies for this apparent drivel but I am a rank amateur and am having trouble making the transition from my beloved strand MX48 to software.

If you are going to use MagicQ, why don't you just buy the proper MagicDMX dongle from Chamsys? It just works and will save you all this hair pulling.

Archived