Speakon connector

RedDog

I have inherited a pair of speakers with Speakon connectors, I connected to the amp with 1/4 jack - 4-pole Speakon cable and no sound?Q. 4-pole Speakon cables only fit into 4-pole sockets?If so 4-pole cable should work?it's the same with both speakers, so I am assuming a wiring issue?

thanks.

ps. amp working 1/4 to 1/4 on different set of speakers.

The prime use of speakons is on pins 1+ and 1- to the same pin on the other connector. BUT there are other uses based on amp and speaker systems. Check that you have connectors wired 1 to 1. Sometimes 2 to 2 wiring is used to take part of a signal onward for example pins 1+/- may carry full range output from the amp to a sub and an internal crossover inside the sub may send the top box power out at pins2+/-. Also beware of special leads for bridging amplifiers into speakers.

First read the book for the signal source and destination check whether you have the right lead for the box at each end.

hmm,still no joy.1/4 jack from powered mixer.....took connector off, attached wires to the 'bare end 'terminals nothing. both cabinets... nothing.

bypassed the plugs completely, attached cable directly to 15" seaker.. nothing, not a peep.. both cabinets!!attached cable to othe pair of speakerts.. all good.

it's a mystery.

again,thanks all. will investigate all suggestions.

I assume you know that the speakers weren't dead when you inherited them ?? An old-fashioned (non-digital*) multi-meter on the lowest Ohms range, or a 1.5V battery, across the terminals should produce a "click". (* A digital meter may also work, but I've never tried).

(If you haven't already sussed it out, the "standard" (1+, 1-) Speakon connectors are at either side of the latch).

Alister, you beat me to it :(

Check your testing logic! Start with a known good something. A simple meter or even a simple AA(ish) battery will make the bass driver click if it's good, test just the driver, disconnect the crossover from it. A modern digital meter should show a reading a little more than a zero ohm short circuit say 2 -6 ohms according to the intended impedance.

Once you have tried a test, re-test the tester. If you were given the speakers you certainly don't know if they work, or who fiddled inside last and with what skill and competence.

Consider that a prior owner may have destroyed the crossover which may be shorted or open circuit, or may have a blown on-board fuse -or both or more.

thanks all,no, I don't know that they were working.. though the previous owner insists they were prior to being put in store. and he's a friend, so I trust him.

but.. I haven't yet tested with meter or other means.. will do and update.

will do..

Check your testing logic! Start with a known good something. A simple meter or even a simple AA(ish) battery will make the bass driver click if it's good, test just the driver, disconnect the crossover from it. A modern digital meter should show a reading a little more than a zero ohm short circuit say 2 -6 ohms according to the intended impedance.

Once you have tried a test, re-test the tester. If you were given the speakers you certainly don't know if they work, or who fiddled inside last and with what skill and competence.

Consider that a prior owner may have destroyed the crossover which may be shorted or open circuit, or may have a blown on-board fuse -or both or more.

thanks.

I assume you know that the speakers weren't dead when you inherited them ?? An old-fashioned (non-digital*) multi-meter on the lowest Ohms range, or a 1.5V battery, across the terminals should produce a "click". (* A digital meter may also work, but I've never tried).

(If you haven't already sussed it out, the "standard" (1+, 1-) Speakon connectors are at either side of the latch).

Alister, you beat me to it :(

I suppose so...

Could they both have blown voice coils?

Archived