Mixing helicopters and LED screens, a bad idea

Roderick

The Philippine National Police bought a new helicopter and wanted to show it off.

It didn't go well: Video

And only doing half a job at the first attempt, they tried again....

More details: https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2018/08/08/1841010/look-new-pnp-chopper-knocks-over-tent-led-screen-camp-crame

The supplier obviously decided that counterweights were too heavy and cumbersome to be bothered with.

I'm surprised the pilot went for the manouver; should have been spotted as a risk in the planning stage.

Hmmmm? One of the regular organisers of community festivals I used to work was notorious for sketchiness and downright danger so when she organised helicopter rides I became concerned. Firstly I despatched the site to the far end of the park away from stalls, stage and caterers. The day arrived and she proudly said; "I have had the grass cut and marked out a H". I asked what she had done with the 3 feet high grass she had cut and she assured me it was OK.

Chopper arrives, hovers 20 feet up, equivalent of three haystacks take off and blank out the entire park, chopper goes away. Kerry and crew and stallholders and caterers spend next hour picking bits of hay out of everywhere. Pilots just assume they are safe to land if a pad has been marked out for them.

Next year she tells me she has sorted out the helicopter and shows me the LZ right up against the back wall of a hospital Intensive Care ward. ????????????

Archived