Projector remote?

Dave

Does anyone know if I can get a small box with a few buttons on it which can be programmed to send commands over an RS232 link to a projector? The projector does not have sockets to use the IR remote in wired mode, so RS232 is the only solution I can think of (unless there are any decent IR extenders available).

I don't really want to tie up a PC doing this.

Thanks,

Dave

I've used a PICAXE chip to easily recieve and send commands before. Cheap to use and easy to program. IF you know the commands, it's a lot easier. Otherwise it would probably be possible to hook it up in a 'learning' mode to caputure the signals and then pass them on when the buttons are pressed.

We regularly use PROCON controllers in lecture theatres - see the section at the bottom of that url...

Several models, with between 4 and 16 buttons. Several output options, typically 2xIR and 2x RS232. There are "personalities" available for most common projectors etc. You could also have it controlling DVD, lighting etc..... even screens and curtains.

The controller fits into a standard double socket box, so can easily be incorporated into cable trunking or a lectern.

There are several other companies producing similar units.

It's ideal for an environment where you want to keep things simple (as few buttons as possible), and don't want to go down the AMX route.

Not exactly cheap, but probably costs about the same price as a couple of replacement remotes :)

Bruce.

We use an IR extender at church, from what I can see one end sticks onto the projectors IR receiver, comes back down a fibre optic cable to a control box then from there to an IR receiver which we have mounted on the wall next to the computer, ours works very well.

Unfortunately I have no idea of cost, but when I'm next down there I will have a look at the control box for manufacturer model number etc....

Archived