Malfunctioning Martin Magnum 1000

hairyswaff

Hi, long time reader, first time poster!

I've obtained an old Martin Magnum 1000 smoke machine for my school. The only problem is when I plug it in it just pumps out loads of smoke at the maximum output until we turn it off at the mains. Useful for doing a pre-show wash of smoke but useless for anything else! Stupidly I agreed to try and repair it!!

I'm pretty sure the problem is with the connection on the remote (5 pin DIN timer remote) though I'm not 100% sure. I'm planning to buy a new remote regardless because the nobs have fallen off it. I've been searching through Google and looking on ebay ect. but have been unable to find a new timer remote for this model or even just a 5 pin DIN lead on its own that is compatible.

Has anyone got any idea of where I can find one or has anyone got any suggestions of other problems that there could be with this machine?

Many Thanks

Luke Swaffield

Have you tried contacting Martin directly?

This page has a list of the numbers and email addresses.

They should be able to help, although I've not managed to find the Magnum 1000 on their site - Magnum 800 seems the closest that is still available.

A similar problem can occur on the Magnum 2000, which may be of help.

If the timer has been set, it seems to remember it. Tapping the timer button can set it for a very short interval- i.e. blast smoke from the moment it gets power until it a) loses power or b) runs out of fluid.

The solution is to cancel the timer by turning it on and holding down the timer button for about 10 seconds.

As I said, this is for a different smoker, but it may also work here.

I have a magnum 1000 and my remote broke! I had to get one ordered from my local martin retailer and it cost 50 quid !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for a 150 quid machine thats a bit steep, depends what condition yours is in wheather its worth doing, also are you sure its not faulty before u spend £50 on a remote, mine wont even heat right up without the remote plugged in, never mind give off any smoke!! so it seems a bit bizar yours works with no remote

the remotes is also on stupid 5 core cable which fractures really easily so assuming teh machine is fine and you get the remote youve gotta be really carefull with it!

this machine unlike alot of others is not as simple as shorting two pins together for smoke so you have to have the proper remote, any more questions about the fogger and id be more than happy to answer

cheers

- tom

• 2 weeks later...

I had a magnum 1000 once, It came without a remote so I contacted Martin and they gave me a copy of the circuit diagram for the original remote. I bradborded one to test and found the pump was dead so scrapped the thing.

I still have the circuit diagram hanging around, let me know if you have no joy with Martin and I'll try to scan it for you.

James

• 14 years later...