A remote go button for Qlab or nomad

CARWYN

Well... it is doable Here is one for purchase. Been a while since I have QLab'ed - however from memory you can control either via MIDI or Open Sound Control (OSC). I would be looking at using a Teensy microcontroller board - that should have enough inputs for you and the USB port on the teensy can be made to act as a USB Midi interface - powering the teensy and providing data over the one cable.

If you wanted to plug into an ION at the same time - personaly I would keep the two controllers separate - run a second teensy in the same enclosure for the ION. It has support for USB midi devices too.

Well... it is doable Here is one for purchase. Been a while since I have QLab'ed - however from memory you can control either via MIDI or Open Sound Control (OSC). I would be looking at using a Teensy microcontroller board - that should have enough inputs for you and the USB port on the teensy can be made to act as a USB Midi interface - powering the teensy and providing data over the one cable.

If you wanted to plug into an ION at the same time - personaly I would keep the two controllers separate - run a second teensy in the same enclosure for the ION. It has support for USB midi devices too.

This is what we did, simple six-button remotes with a Teensy inside to utilise ‘Musical MIDI’ commands. It connects via USB.

It may be easier to control the ION (which already has a large GO button) via MIDI from QLab.

For panto a few years ago, I just dismantled a keyboard, worked out on the incoming track which combinations did which buttons based on QLab default then basically built a small box, added the buttons in and wired them to the incoming track board.

I built 4 units with Load, Go, Up, Down for about £70 parts total. Simple but very effective.

I've done this a number of ways over the years. Most recently with a Teensy as mentioned above. I've also used U-HID Nano boards bought from Ultimarc. They're designed for the arcade industry and will do keystrokes programmed by their own software. They can be bought with a loom to connect to your buttons too.

If you just literally want go and stop then you might be better buying a pair of USB Buttons. Again they're programmable to give the keystrokes you want.

U-HID Nano and USB Button can be found here;

http://www.ultimarc.com/store/section.php?xSearch=&xSec=13&currency=4&jssCart=52bd1b04b37a80c0d567ee3378700e5f

Above you mentioned MIDI, is this a default loaded of some sort for Teensy or did you have to write something?

We have DJ TechTools MidiFighter as a QLab go button which is a 4x4 matrix so gives us 16 colour programmable buttons but it's a bit overkill. It is useful though if you want additional buttons or sting / single press FX as well.

This uses MIDI rather than keypress so still works when QLab hasn't got application focus.

There are some advantages to triggering QLab over midi vs keyboard commands, not least that the trigger will still fire if the QLab window doesn’t have focus - useful if you’re also using the mac to monitor radio mics or save desk scenes for example.

for Qlab depending on you Desk, it may be able to send MIDI commands from some of the custom buttons, I do this regularly from an X32 over the same USB cable that is used for audio from the mac to the desk .

My normal buttons are Panic , Panic All , Previous , Next & GO

Archived