Smoking Parcans?

MarcT

Can anyone tell me if its normal for new parcans to smoke a bit when first used? I'm sure its been assembled correctly - and can't find anything obviously wrong!

I think the paintwork on the mesh grille in front of the lamp is causing the smoke, but I'm not 100% sure.

Any ideas? If I leave them running outdoors for half an hour will it stop?

Cheers,

Marc

Hi,

One of my clients reported the same with some new Pars that we'd got for them (Ian - they were your own brand Vision ones). They were worried because the venue had smoke alarms. It stopped after about an hour or so, and apparently was slightly disturbing to look at!!

I've not known it to happen with Thomas cans though.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

That reminds me of the time my head of drama (see previous threads to see just what sort of guy we're dealing with here) focussed parcans onto wall displays for a parents evening. Trouble is, these were brand new parcans - he wanted to show off the shiny lights to the prospective parents. Then he asked me to go into the studio and switch on the dimmer (betapacks with the test buttons switched down) and guess who got the blame for the smoking lights, which severely worried some parents....

My Thomases did from new - first time I went to re-colour them after that there was a little pile of ash in each can. Somehow that seemed more disturbing than the smoking.

There's probably a gag in here about short-nosed Pars, smoking and stunted growth, but I can't quite slot it together, I'm afraid. <_<

My Thomases did from new - first time I went to re-colour them after that there was a little pile of ash in each can. Somehow that seemed more disturbing than the smoking.

I seem to find those piles in ash all the time in Thomas cans - at all sorts of venues so it would seem it's a manufacturing issue.

Stu

what it is is the paint on the mesh safety grill... apparently its coated in some special paint and the first time they're used the paint reacts to the heat and forms a protective layer to protect the metal... absolutely nothing to worry about!! anyhow, if you burn in the new lamps at the same time as the bubbles, you should experience this in plenty of time so that there's not audience or members of the public to witness it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived