d&b Y10p vs L'Acoustics

SStudio

Hi guys,

My local rental house doesn't carry both d&b Y series and L'Acoustics X12 or ARCS for me to demo so I'm just wondering if you can provide me some insight about these systems. I've narrowed my search to

d&b Y10p + Y sub or B6 subs + D20 amp

Vs

L'Acoustics X12 + SB18m subs + LA-4X amp

Which system is better in terms of sound quality only? How do you compare the warmth, clarity, tight bottom, lush mid, beautiful high between the 2 systems? I've heard the SB subs are better but as far as mids and highs d&b wins out. I want that beautiful mids and highs for vocal particularly. Thanks!

I've listened to both, and while I'm far from a sound engineer (I was the guy pulling the trigger on the purchase) I'd say you won't be disappointed in either. If I had to give one the edge, probably the Y10p. In the end, we bought L'Acoustics Arcs Wifo as the main house PA and X12s as the monitors. The Y10ps were in the running for main house PA too.

You really should listen to them, though. This isn't a purchase to make "blind". These are nice systems, any prospective vendor should arrange for you to hear their product if they want to make a sale.

I've listened to both, and while I'm far from a sound engineer (I was the guy pulling the trigger on the purchase) I'd say you won't be disappointed in either. If I had to give one the edge, probably the Y10p. In the end, we bought L'Acoustics Arcs Wifo as the main house PA and X12s as the monitors. The Y10ps were in the running for main house PA too.

You really should listen to them, though. This isn't a purchase to make "blind". These are nice systems, any prospective vendor should arrange for you to hear their product if they want to make a sale.

Thanks for the input, Bryson. Are they close enough neck to neck in sonic quality and it comes down to whoever gives a good deal? You're not the first one that chose L'acoustics after comparing with the d&b. They probably have a slight edge but cost considerably more than a similar LAcoustics set up. How do you describe the d&b voicing compared to the Lacoustics in terms of transparency, low/mid/high?

Thanks for the input, Bryson. Are they close enough neck to neck in sonic quality and it comes down to whoever gives a good deal? You're not the first one that chose L'acoustics after comparing with the d&b. They probably have a slight edge but cost considerably more than a similar LAcoustics set up. How do you describe the d&b voicing compared to the Lacoustics in terms of transparency, low/mid/high?

I think they're reasonably close, but bear in mind I was listening to them in a different context. (Y10ps vs Arcs Wifo for our mains, X12 vs M6 for wedges)

With "voicing" you're way into stuff I don't really deal with. I'm not a Sound Engineer, I'm a Technical Director. My criteria were: a: do they sound good? (yes, in both cases) b: Can I meet the type of riders I get with them? (I quite liked the Outline product, for example, but it fails the second test.)

Our sound engineer preferred the L'Acoustics sound, but that's really personal preference.

Archived