Kramer heat

TomHoward

We have installed a VS-44HN and it runs pretty hot, going to measure surface temp but it’s in a fairly full rack also in a warm-ish plant room which doesn’t help, but either way it runs much, much hotter than amp of the amps or network gear in there.

Does the Kramer kit usually run pretty hot anyway and still have a serviceable lifetime?

Kramer gear tends to run hot I have found. I don't know that particular bit of kit, however my general experience with the brand is that they try to passively cool as much as possible and avoid active cooling - great for keeping things quiet - and it simplifies the case design somewhat. This is fine when the environment they are in is not too hot - in a wall cavity that is crammed with insulation or packed in a poorly ventilated, over crowded rack... it gets toasty. Generally not to the point of damaging the tech and reducing servicable life too significantly. The case getting hot is part of a passively cooled design - but it is reliant on air moving over/past the case and taking some of that heat away.

Turns out, I posted this is in response to what we'd had in, but when I went to check it I'd describe it as running 'Cloud or Kramer warm' rather than overly hot, but they had taken the rack sides off to help cooling.

Checked the Kramer and that's +40deg which it could have been over to be fair but I'll take a infrared thermometer or camera to it. The Cloud doesn't have any temp on the spec sheets.

I might still fit fans just to keep everyone happy but I think yes, it's in an IT rack full of fans, so compared to that kit it's warmer but it's also quieter, it was IT tech who raised the issue of heat.

Archived