Philips n4506

DrV

Just been asked to repair a Philips N4506 by a gent in Dorset but I can't take it on. Does anyone know of a reliable repairer of such beasts? Preferably down Dorset way but he was prepared to bring it up to me in Surrey so I guess he can deliver some distance

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Immediate thought is Steve Bennett at VintageTech if he's still trading. (Web-site is still up) He does professional machines for studios.

Edit: To add URL.

Apparently Steve "doesn't do Philips machines" so any further suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks, Dave

I suspect the only sensible suggestion is "bin it", though that's probably not what your gent in Dorset wants to hear, especially if he has his music archive on reels of crumbling tape. Apart from Revox A77s all vintage tape-decks are a nightmare, especially the "hi-fi" ones, which tended to rely heavily on belts & mechanical clutches. Any attempt at repair, even if successful, could well cost far more than the machine is worth.

I have the slightly later version (the N4515) and the service manual so I'd be happy to take a look at it. I'd guess that the drive belt has broken by now but replacements are obtainable and not too expensive (I replaced the belt on mine last year). While these are a bit plasticky and full of Philips' idiosyncrasies, the essential parts are well designed and their performance at slow speeds is better than just about anything else I've used.

I'm in mid Hampshire (near Winchester) so not too far from most of Dorset.

I've had an email exchange with the owner of this machine and it looks like we've fixed it without even having to take it apart! These machines are intended to be used as the heart of a hifi system with Philips Motional Feedback Loudspeakers (a type of active speaker) and so you can disable some of the tape functions to reduce the wear on the motor while you are just using the preamp functions. If the switch to do this hasn't been used for a while the tape functions appear to be disabled even though the switch is in the Tape position. Simply toggling this switch a few times fixes the problem.

My own machine also suffers from this issue so I'm going to see if I can get some switch cleaner inside the switch to alleviate the problem.

OT a bit. The reminder of the motional feedback speakers jogged my memory. They were pretty innovative for the 70s - and I think sounded quite nice. For those that have never heard of them - the speakers had an extra winding on the cone, that was wired back with a pair to the amp - so it could compare the output, with the actual physical travel the speaker managed, and adjust it if necessary - a bit like a PLL - compare the two waveforms and adjust for best balance. It seemed to give better bass. The speakers were typically European and bright and lacking bass, and I suspect the system also prevented turning up the bass, very popular then, from making out sound too farty with the smallish drivers.

Archived