wyrd sisters

robthirlby

Anyone got any ideas how we can make some form of genie appear and disappear out of a large urn on the stage in a small studio theatre. the audience will be less than 3M away, its a concrete floor. The urn is moved on and off and isn't big enough for a hidden person.

Any contributions welcome, I'm completely stumped.

Rob Thirlby, Leicester Little Theatre

Video projection onto a jet of quick-dispersing smoke is one way I have seen it done. Requires careful positioning of the projector so the parts of the picture which miss the smoke end up somewhere non-obvious.

You read my mind, Tim! There are a few tutorials online showing people’s efforts in building their own fog screens, and they appear to work quite well. One I looked at was even used outdoors for a Halloween event.

Basically the fog screens I looked at were comprised of two rows of fans either side of a long narrow slot that the smoke escaped through. The jets of air from the fans kept the smoke in a reasonably thin flat shape which worked well as a projection surface.

I was thinking of the RSC production of Christmas Carol which I saw, they had a ghost appear out of a prop fire on stage using this technique. It was just a jet of smoke, there was no attempt to make it into a flat "screen", but the effect was still quite good.

I think they have a fairly big budget though!

Alternatively you could play it for laughs and have an inflatable genie pop up...

Depending on blocking - jet of illuminated (LED PAR in the bottom of the urn - pick a 'magic' colour) fast dissipating smoke from the urn (dim the stage while this happens) then the genie appears from somewhere near the urn, panto style.

When we did this in our small theatre we cheated and made a 'wash copper' our of MDF and hardboard with a cut out back just large enough for our demon to get in/out during a blackout. Our stage is has only got a 16 foot pros and has a solid floor. We just set it very near the pros on SL. After a couple of tries our demon actress could get in or out in well under 10 seconds. This also gave us somewhere to hide a couple of birdies with a nice green gel to light her from below.

I've got the CAD files for this somewhere I think.

Tom

Archived