Two guilty over girl's bouncy castle death

Simon Lewis

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After all this unbelievably I saw a funbag held down by ONE rope at an event on Sunday. Talk about a gesture....

This still happens even at carboots. People using inflatables to make a quick quid but have no clue staking it down. They think the weight of the inflatable is sufficient but they are wrong. I have seen one where it was tied to the towbar of a car and that was all. The kids were like "Dad Dad could we go on that" but because I am an upfront and open person, I replied with.. "Sorry kids that is not safe" I did say it quite loudly and the guy didn't look impressed and did mutter a few things under his breathe but me being me, I went to explain to my kids why it was not safe and quite a few parents overheard and quickly departed.

After all this unbelievably I saw a funbag held down by ONE rope at an event on Sunday. Talk about a gesture....

This still happens even at carboots. People using inflatables to make a quick quid but have no clue staking it down. They think the weight of the inflatable is sufficient but they are wrong. I have seen one where it was tied to the towbar of a car and that was all. The kids were like "Dad Dad could we go on that" but because I am an upfront and open person, I replied with.. "Sorry kids that is not safe" I did say it quite loudly and the guy didn't look impressed and did mutter a few things under his breathe but me being me, I went to explain to my kids why it was not safe and quite a few parents overheard and quickly departed.

Just to be clear this 'installation' was photographed by me and the organiser will be contacted re future bookings.

Just to be clear this 'installation' was photographed by me and the organiser will be contacted re future bookings.

I have contacted a few organisers etc about the use of inflatables used incorrectly. If it's not safe for myself then I know its not safe for my kids or other kids.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Inflatable Castles are back in the news - on the beach just up the coast a young girl was killed today when the thing 'blew up' and threw her up in the air. 4 yrs old, taken to hospital where she has died.

I suspect we can see legislation and licensing looming very quickly after the previous case.

The friend on the beach nearby suffers from anxiety issues, and needed an injection to calm her down after it happened. Grim news.

Just after the last verdict HSE put out an industry wide advisory saying they expect all inflatable operators to have a wind measuring device with them (not an app relating weather reports, something that can measure actual on-site speed) and re-affirming the expectation that structure be properly staked down so they are certainly watching the sector very carefully at the moment.

The HSE are there already. It's already a growing story on Facebook - the emotive words growing and growing. Split has turned to explosion, falling off turned into hurled into the sky, and I suppose the real facts will come much later.

There is a warning here about doing your own PR without thinking about it. A firm whose release clearly says at the head in block capitals that it is not involved in this incident put out a statement trying to reassure its customers on the safety of Bouncy Castles as opposed to inflated and sealed play devices. The statement is here https://www.facebook...843582518998522 It seems now to be being quoted in full as coming from the firm who owned the device. This is not surprising as those who now inhabit news offices are usually illiterate. Monitoring this these stories seem to be being taken down quite quickly when the mistake is realised or brought to their attention - but it does show the danger of saying the wrong thing at the wrong time even if for what you think is the right reasons.

There's a lot of misinformation being spread in all the speculation - from the industry notes so far it was actually a sealed air unit (basically a giant pool inflatable, completely different technology to bouncy-castles) being used as a trampoline bed though just to confuse matters it does look externally like a bouncy-castle. Whilst they can pop they can't "explode" so it seems more likely that the injuries sustained were as a result of tumbling off it and hitting the ground (presumably as a result of the sudden sound and partial collapse of the structure) rather than specific explosion related injuries. There are good photo's of the site appearing in the press and there are one or two notable omissions at the site which suggest the direction and focus any H&S investigation is likely to take.

Pillock!

I wonder if the Rt Hon Member will call for motor cars to be banned the next time a boy racer causes carnage.

My experience with inflatables is relatively limited, but I'm curious how it is possible for one to "explode" like this. They're not like balloons, and typically the blower is running full pelt just to keep the thing up.

As per my comment Stuart; it wasn’t a bouncy castle - it was a sealed inflatable supporting a trampoline so it is possible that it could pop though the talk of explosions and children flying through the air that dozens of people tried to catch is clearly hyperbole.

Archived