Projectors installed permanently as part of hotel installation..

TomBaker

Possibly a terminology thing but ultra short throws usually mount on the wall above where they're projecting and project down on to the wall at a very steep angle (very popular in classrooms). If you want to fill the wall, that's not really the right approach as you'll need to be on the ceiling and projecting more horizontally than downwards.

Thanks. What would you advise as the right approach to fill the wall?

Ultra Short Throw - I doubt you'll find a unit which will do a 3m image (are you going wide or diagonal?). Some of the Epson Ultra Short Throw can be edge blended - https://www.epson.co.uk/products/projectors

Ultra Short Throw - I did link to the Sony 4K unit.

Short throw - if you go ceiling mounted you will have folk walking through the image.

Epson EH-TW9300/7300 - these 'Home Theatre' 3LCD will throw a 3m wide, 16:9 image from 4.5m and are bright enough for ambient light viewing.

Joe

this is not really my field, but about 18 months ago I PMd a conference where with a Panasonic PT-RZ12K WUXGA 3DLP Laser Proj / Panasonic ET-D75 LE90 Lens 0.36:1 we filled a 14' fastfold (16:9) with a throw distance of around 1.5m or less. For a number of reasons, floor-standing rear projection was the only option with a very limited stage depth available. This was the solution offered by our kit sponsors, and my first question was "Will such a wide lens not distort the edges of the image?" and the answer was, "No, they have solved that issue". I must say this was born out by experience, with a clean undistorted image.

the positioning had to be accurate to get the image in focus, so you have to do the sums regarding distance from the screen and height relating to the bottom (or top if ceiling mounting) of the screen.

I must say I was glad that at last year's venue for the same conference we had much more depth behind the screen and we were able to go with a wide zoom which is more forgiving, a useful characteristic when there is only a couple of hours to set up...

I assume this combination of equipment would be suitable for a permanent instal, though I guess you wouldn't necessarily want a 12K projector. I've no idea if a similar lens is available for lower powered models, as I say, not really my area of expertise.

(edited to add:) I see Shez's point about not covering the whole wall, and as I recall it, the projector did sit slightly below the bottom of the screen (an upside -down version of what Shez describes). But if the room is being customized as an art event, then maybe it is possible to recess the projector into a false ceiling??

In my (somewhat limited) experience of short-throw projectors they are very clever at sorting out the distortion, but also very unforgiving of any imperfections in the projection surface, especially the curling edges you get with pull-up screens - in the OP's case it shouldn't be a problem with abstract patterns on a decently plastered wall.

• 2 weeks later...
So looking at this you are probably looking towards short throw lens in the region of 0.8:1 or less front facing and to fill the wall using lens shift and keystone in the projector for simplicity. Projector wise for reliability (as that seems like it will be a key factor in this) you are probably best looking a laser light source projector. Looking through the Panasonic range would probably be my first port of call for this project.

Archived