SNOW!!

dfinn

Hi Everyone,

For our next school show "Oliver" we need to produce a snow effect.

I have searched the forum and found that I can use either a machine or drop the stuff from above by hand.

I have learned that snow machines are noisy and this could be a problem as the scene where snow is required is quiet so unless there is a silent snow mahine I am nearly completely disregaring snow machines as the answer.

Now with snow that is dropped by hand it it easy enough to get rid of if a floorcloth is layed for that scene then quickly pulled off at the end of the scene?

If there are any quiet snow machines out there for hire please let me know.

Thanks

Daniel

A lot depends on the size of effect you want. If you're looking for something to give you the effect of snow falling outside a window or a door, as seen from an interior perspective, then one or two of the 'trough' type machines would be ideal - quiet to run, adjustable for volume of snow fall, and the effect is fairly localised therefore minimising clean-up.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a full-stage 'snowfall' these aren't really the best thing. If you have flying facilities, you could look at using a snow bag made to the required width. The 'blower' type snow machines would also work, but as you've already determined they're noisy buggers.

as for clearing up - the blowers make a slippery mess and the dry versions make a mess that lands everywhere because it's so light. I found some from a 5yr ago show inside a disused 223 still hanging in the rig.

I found this when looking for my wee sister's birthday present in February.

Not sure how suited to your purpose it is, but it's ridiculously cheap thanks to it no longer being seasonal.

Hi, have you tried SNOWBOYS? I use four of them on the show that I work on daily, you can adjust the amount of snow that comes out and also the snow boy actually moves on a rotating motor from left to right and back. It's reasonably quiet but if you want to cover any noise I would suggest increasing your sound levels when you want to use the snow effect. The down-side of it is the liquid is a bit expensive. The other machines I use are ANTARI snow machines, which are ok, they make a bit of a whistle and the snow is like foam sometimes, just depends if you get the mixture right. The fluid for this is reasonably priced. Just depends on what your budget is.

Thanks,

I will have to ask the sm and director/drama teacher to see what they think.

This input is great.

o yeh while im here is the peasouper low fogger any good? Ive got to use one of these for the show too but on the lematrier website The peasouper doesnt look too good. I prefer the martin Glaciator by a mile :angry:. Anyone whos used the pea souper what do you think?

Thanks

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

The Le Maitre Peasouper is for use with dry ice . It does not turn conventional smoke (smoke that would come out of a "disco" style smoke machine) into low lying smoke, the Le Maitre LSX does this - I don't know if you have the wrong name.

What the Peasouper does do however is warm up dry ice by plunging it into a hot water bath, this then results in the smoke coming out of the front at a low level.

Le Maitre Peasouper.

The Martin Glaciator is exactly the same as the LSX, this is an "all in one" unit that uses conventional smoke fluid (well a slightly different mix) into low smoke without the need for dry ice.

Martin Glaciator

Some thing to be aware of particulary if you at school that dry ice is not the nicest thing in the world , and for safety I would advise looking into the low smoke option I.e LSX and Glaciator.

HTH

Nick

Hiya,

LSX

Le Maitre don't make this anymore, its long gone. However some hire companies do have them in their stock as they are considerably cheaper than the martin glaciator.

Re hire companies in the midlands area, I'm a norther but...

Stage LX

May be a good bet,

Good look in your quest,

Nick

P.S What do you need Low Smoke for in Oliver - or am I missing something...

Edit: Darn you Peter!

Just to say its for a space of about 10 by 20m.

does that change the choice of machine.

What are the cheaper more disco type brands like such as the antari low foggers?

Thanks

Daniel

I did waiting for godot and we used $2000 of poly snow to give the snow effect, it took months and I still find the stuff in my pockets

if you use it then just expect you wont get it off the deck affter the sceane

Archived