Chamsys Preferences

JTilling

Hi All

I have a Chamsys MQ40N console and whilst it is nice to have and use I wondered what other peoples preferences are when it comes to chamsys set ups.

I didn't have the cash to spend on the higher models such as the MQ60 and so have quickly realised that I am missing out on some usability of magic q, mainly time code and midi etc.

Im considering selling my MQ40 and using the money instead to buy a decent laptop and one or two wings to go with it, I like to have physical faders and buttons to use to the wings would be a must for me.

What is everyones thoughts/preferences.

thanks

Thanks I wasn't aware of that. I have just dropped Chamsys and email to see if this is the case! For me it would be ideal to have both a PC Wing compact and the Extra wing along side it with a laptop and external touch screen! Lots of physical faders and buttons to use as well as the onscreen interface!

Can I ask why the Mini wings can only control the first ten playbacks? It seems like an odd restriction from an end users point of view. It would be very useful to be able to use 2 to get 20 playbacks, for example. I know that adding an Extra wing would allow me to control more playbacks, but if all I want is more physical faders then buying an Extra wing is a very expensive way of making that happen. Even more so if I wanted 30 or 40 faders....

I Have a Mac and a Chamsys PC Wing Compact, you do only have 10 physical faders however you can page up to the next ten and so on... for I think 10 pages of 10... I use my Mac as I can run the visualiser in a second screen or MagicQ also has a good HD video player too... but you need a good machine to keep up...

a touch screen would be a great option as then it would really work like a real desk!

but for the little shows I use it on its perfect.

hope that helps.

Apart from the Martin M-Touch I don't know of another company that lets you use more than one "master" wing. In fact gMa onpc hardware can't be used with their desks, Avo tiger touch wings can't be used with the titan mobile, and the titan mobile wing doesn't work with the titan one dongle. With chamsys you can use the extra wings with both desks and wing systems, and even on their own they unlock the full features of maqic q. I can loose one of my two boxes from my fly system and still have a show (MQ 80 in one box, 2 extra wings and a B4 in another, laptop in carry on)

I'm fairly certain that the Martin software actually allows you to use incoming DMX to control as many submasters as you like. So you could have a cheap 24/48 channel desk and map each DMX channel of that desk to a submaster on the Martin software. You do need a genuine Martin interface to do this, but they only cost somewhere around £200.

As for the MagicQ wings, I'm afraid I still don't understand why you can have up to 8 Extra wings, but only one Mini wing. I realise that one can page up and down to get 10 pages of 10 playbacks with a wing, but since the wings don't use motorised faders thats hardly an ideal way to operate a show. If Chamsys don't want to alter the software to allow it to work with multiple Mini wings then I think there is a very good case for them to produce a small wing which can work alongside the Mini wing. This comes back to my earlier point about it being very expensive to add more physical faders, because however you set up the software there will eventually come a time when you could use more faders.

As for the MagicQ wings, I'm afraid I still don't understand why you can have up to 8 Extra wings, but only one Mini wing. I realise that one can page up and down to get 10 pages of 10 playbacks with a wing, but since the wings don't use motorised faders thats hardly an ideal way to operate a show. If Chamsys don't want to alter the software to allow it to work with multiple Mini wings then I think there is a very good case for them to produce a small wing which can work alongside the Mini wing. This comes back to my earlier point about it being very expensive to add more physical faders, because however you set up the software there will eventually come a time when you could use more faders.

It’s a fairly simple ecosystem. One “master” wing or desk (mini, compact or whatever) and then extra wings or playback wings as you need it.

In the grand scheme of things they’re incredibly cheap for a quality bit of hardware. They have no sensible business case for allowing people to bodge a system together with multiple masters.

• 4 years later...

I own a mq70 and was trying to add a wing. Found one used two weeks ago with case for 1500.00

That is half price, should have purchased….

waited a week it was gone, tried to purchase new extra wing, when I found out they are discontinued. Over last week every extra wing new or used and older playback wings are gone…need one for new gig that’s starts in a month. Apparently chamsys will eventually release a NEW version but no time in the immediate future. Kinda feel “left hanging”…….I love the Q but. Wondering if the new console was a good idea.   If any body wanna sell me a wing It would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Light house said:

I own a mq70 and was trying to add a wing. Found one used two weeks ago with case for 1500.00

That is half price, should have purchased….

waited a week it was gone, tried to purchase new extra wing, when I found out they are discontinued. Over last week every extra wing new or used and older playback wings are gone…need one for new gig that’s starts in a month. Apparently chamsys will eventually release a NEW version but no time in the immediate future. Kinda feel “left hanging”…….I love the Q but. Wondering if the new console was a good idea.   If any body wanna sell me a wing It would be greatly appreciated.

Let there be light

• Downvote 1