Something to test moving lights (Primarily) with

Bazz339

I may have asked this before and apologise if I have, I can't find the thread if I did.

Is there anything to bench test moving lights with.?

Ideally needs to be toolbox small, cheap, easy to program, store and output a sequence of DMX values so a test sequence can be set up for various heads and recalled at a later date.

Say 50-100 DMX channels and maybe 20 sequences. It tends to be that I am testing one type of head all addressed the same.

Maybe mobile phone App and interface?

I do have access to Micro-scopes but don't like them for this application. I know a cheap lighting desk would do what I want but I am not going to buy one because I have no other use for it but maybe a cheap disco lighting controller (I know they are not toolbox small but are reasonably portable)? Any suggestions?

Not cheap but will do a lot more than what you need for now Dr DMX III . You can program in a mover test program. It is also handy when testing fixtures as you don't have to readdress the fixture to suit a small desk.

I have used one for years, my first was the Dr DMX II, it has been invaluable when troubleshooting the infrequent but time dependant faults when setting up shows such as whether I have patched the correct universe to a stage DMX outlet.

A second mention for the DMX Cat. I’ve got the Swisson XMT 350 for grab-it-and-use-it type testing, mostly cable fault stuff / tracing errors / proving lines, but for bench fixture testing the cat is amazing, easy access to each parameter.

A second mention for the DMX Cat. I’ve got the Swisson XMT 350 for grab-it-and-use-it type testing, mostly cable fault stuff / tracing errors / proving lines, but for bench fixture testing the cat is amazing, easy access to each parameter.

All above what I am looking for in price etc. I am thinking of something that can recall maybe 30 Chases with say 40 DMX channels. All units are set to Channel 1 I want them to do the same things to spot anomalies.

Maybe something like this:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/eurolite_dmx_move_control_512.htm?glp=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoPXL9djY2QIVz7DtCh3_oAWSEAQYASABEgKQXPD_BwE

It doesn't have all the features that have been mentioned but would a Zero 88 Diablo be any use? I've got one sitting in my garage that you're welcome to have for the cost of the postage. Please note I haven't got the USB lead and as far as I can find out they are no longer available so you would have to set up the fixtures on the console. PM me if interested.

Hilary

You said "toolbox small" and "app and interface". What you are suggesting is neither, also pretty awful to control anything with more channels than there are sliders

I know exactly what you mean. Toolbox small is an aspriation which has changed to portable.I want something where one

sequence will put a fixture through its pace, pan tilt dim gobos colour etc. and that have a similar unit I can pluck it in and recall the sequence. Computers,decent small desks disappear out on site as they should.

Ok well I have a controller similar to the one you linked, it is ok for testing things with a few DMX channels like led cans, but trying to program a moving head requires a lot of patience as you work out what zone on which slider does what you want.

Ok well I have a controller similar to the one you linked, it is ok for testing things with a few DMX channels like led cans, but trying to program a moving head requires a lot of patience as you work out what zone on which slider does what you want.

Thanks. I am not familiar with that style of desk. I am probably going to give up on that quest since the work may be going away.

Archived