Stuck Screws

Bryson

Does anyone have any good tricks for getting stuck screws out? I left the sound engineer to do a simple job...all he had to do was re-clamp the cable on the back of an SL. When I came back, he'd totally mashed the screw heads and the screws were entirely seized about halfway in...so, one of my SLs is out of action until I can free them up. Any good tips?

Two things off the top of my head :

If the screws are cheeseheads use a file to put a big flat on each side and then undo them with a small adjustable wrench. Or if the screws are big enough you may even be able to just cut a slot in the head with a hacksaw and use a flat head screwdriver to undo them.

Failing that drill them out and either retap the hole a size larger or put a captive nut on the inside.

Guest lightnix

A drop or two of WD40 or RS penetrating oil introduced to the screw with a flat blade screwdriver and left for a couple of hours can help. Then grasp the shafts of the screws with a pair of pliers and give them a gentle turn. Try to avoid grasping the head in case it shears off.

Hope that helps.

Very simple but rather brutal answer I'm afraid!!

SL's aren't hand built as such with production being mostly mechanised, which in effect means no-one I have come across has the strength and tool to undo one manually.

To get around this remove the lamp housing/sink and carefully clamp in a vice, then use a impact driver to start the screw. Quite a scary prospect but when running SLs in hire stock we found it was the only way!

Have fun!

Archived