Strand GSX software diskette question

daithecwm

First post so a Big Hi To All! And thanks for letting me ask a basic question:

At our Community Centre in Llanidloes, we have a Strand GSX control desk connected to our stage lighting set-up. None of the trustees, who run the Centre, have any experience of stage lighting - we rely on the performance groups, who use the Centre's facilities, to bring their expertise with them.

Until now, all has been O.K. when the latest group found that the Strand GSX was not working - the software diskette has been removed. With the power on, the rear green LED glows, but the desk display remains blank.

Is there any source of Strand software diskettes that might help us resolve this problem? Is the lack of diskette the problem in the first place?

Any help and advice very gratefully received! Thanks.

Cheers - David Williams.

Hi.

A GSX ought to boot without a disk in the drive - the software is loaded into internal storage. While it's possible to download the software, and quite a few people here have access to copies, it sounds to me more like the desk has lost internal battery power, which causes it problems. As a first attempt I'd leave it plugged in and switched on for at leas 24 hours to (attempt to) charge the internal battery, then switch it off then on again. If the battery is knackered then, so long as it hasn't leaked (like the one in my LBX did) it can be replaced fairly easily.

Our GSX recently got dug out for a show and appeared to "sort of" work but wouldn't record cues or effects. I left it on charge, then opened it up and gave it its "birthday" which solved the problem. This involves removing the screws holding the lower panels on and holding in the little white button whilst powering up.

1519309842[/url]' post='559946']

Hi.

A GSX ought to boot without a disk in the drive - the software is loaded into internal storage. While it's possible to download the software, and quite a few people here have access to copies, it sounds to me more like the desk has lost internal battery power, which causes it problems. As a first attempt I'd leave it plugged in and switched on for at leas 24 hours to (attempt to) charge the internal battery, then switch it off then on again. If the battery is knackered then, so long as it hasn't leaked (like the one in my LBX did) it can be replaced fairly easily.

Our GSX recently got dug out for a show and appeared to "sort of" work but wouldn't record cues or effects. I left it on charge, then opened it up and gave it its "birthday" which solved the problem. This involves removing the screws holding the lower panels on and holding in the little white button whilst powering up.

Many thanks, alistermorton for your quick response - appreciated!

I have left the GSX powered up and will try your suggestion in a day or so to see if the internal battery has charged.

I'll let you know what happens...

Cheers - David.

Even if Alister's suggestion works and you do get it booted, you should get the battery replaced. Every five years is safe although they should go for a lot longer. The problem is that if they leak they damage the PCB tracks. Sometimes the damage is repairable if you catch it early enough but if it is really bad (like Alister's was) then you just have to write off the whole board.

Sounds like leaked battery. I know the problemhttp://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/mad.gif. The battery should be replaced as soon as possible !! otherwise the console is lost. If you have a spare console need ask me I have 6 GSX consoles, all with new service by Strand and with a new battery.

Thank you again for your all help and advice.

I left the GSX powered up for more than 24 hours and tried the Off then On trick. Unfortunately, the desk display (readout) lights up (back-light) but no info appears on the display.

As luck would have it, we do not appear to have a software diskette (as I said above) so pressing the internal reset button may not be a feasible solution. But maybe you can tell me if this is an option without the software diskette?

Is there a source of the GSX software for download from the web? It may be possible to write this info onto a suitably formatted 3.5" diskette? I have to admit this would be somewhat outside my experience, but would be worthwhile if we could get the GSX working with our stage lighting as we have a couple of performances planned for a months time.

Again, many thanks for any advice and suggestions.

David Williams.

You can get the last version from Theatrecrafts website. You can get the manual from the same place.

But if it's not showing anything on the display it may be in a worse way than just needing the software replacing. Even my utterly cattled LBX lit up and did most of its checks but failed on the memory as the tracks were all eaten away.

Thanks again, Alister - I think you're right about the GSX.

Looks like I'm going to have to find an alternative control desk - but before that I'm going to have to learn a lot about stage lighting!

Any recommended reading/tutorials/sources of guidance that you might point me towards would be appreciated! Thanks.

David Williams.

Archived