Strand Patt 223 1k to GY9.5 (743)

BenEdwards

Hi, I think what we have are patt 223, whitch have a P28 base but he bulbs are discontiued. They are available but going to become increasingly more dificult to get so would like to convert them. Also the P28 1k ones !have found are around £03 and the GY9.5 are under a tenner.

Cant find any kits so was wondering if anyone could give any advice as to how to do this with standard GY9.5 lamp holders.

Ben

Cant find any kits so was wondering if anyone could give any advice as to how to do this with standard GY9.5 lamp holders.

Big lump of Ali, a hacksaw, a pillar drill, an M4 tap, and assorted M4 screws and washers.

Big lump of Ali, a hacksaw, a pillar drill, an M4 tap, and assorted M4 screws and washers.

Sounds fun. We actualy have a great ex Stage Electrics guy (mike Straw) who is great at this type of thing. So the Ali is a spacer. Any idea what size?

Jim Laws used to make them - possibly still does. I've got a couple of converted 223s somewhere - I'll try to measure the height of the block, which is the only dimension that matters. If you don't have taps & a decent drill self-tappers would do the job.

Just had a look at what is either a 223 conversion or a very early 743. The block under the lamp-holder is a very different size from the Don Allan post that Gerry links to, being (HxWxD) 24.5 x 24.5 x 44.5mm (approx. 1" x 1" x 1-3/4"). The only dimension that really matters is the height, but bearing in mind that the lamp filament is not exactly a point source even this isn't that critical.

Failed to get a link from Postimage that works, or to just drop an image here, so have Droboxed it instead.

https://www.dropbox....lamp-1.jpg?dl=0

There are two heights IIRC, depending on whether you intend to lamp at 1000 or 1200 - the filaments are at different heights.

Are you sure? None of the 1200W lanterns I've met suggest any sort of adjustment if using a 1kW lamp (the Starlette leaflet just says to use T/11, T19 or T?29 lamps).

Are you sure? None of the 1200W lanterns I've met suggest any sort of adjustment if using a 1kW lamp (the Starlette leaflet just says to use T/11, T19 or T?29 lamps).

Didn't the Cantatas do this with a step in the mounting plate?

[E2A]

The lamp centre on a 1kW T11/T19 is 55mm, on a 1.2kW T29 it's 67mm.

[EA2A]

I made some mod kits from a length of round ali bar I bought from RS. IIRC it was about 50mm in dia. Somewhere I might have one; I'll have a look tomorrow.

Curious - the CCT Starlette leaflet implies the lamps are interchangeable, with no mention of needing to adjust between T/19 & T/29 - maybe they just sent them out with the lamp-height set as a compromise between the two.

E2A: Shouldn't be a problem for the OP, as the 743 wasn't designed for 1200W lamps.

Our CCT Starlette Fresnels and PCs have an adjustable lamp tray to accommodate T19s and T29s, as do our ADB F101s, and our Strand Fresnels. Our ADB DS105 and Strand Cantatas profiles also have dual height lamp trays. It does make a noticeable difference if you fit the wrong height lamp, even in the Fresnels: if you spot them down far enough you can see two spots, not just one!

Not sure I'd want to put a T29 in a Starlette though. In the past I've had to replace several reflectors in ours as they'd melted! Whoever thought that chrome-plating Aluminium and then placing it next to a heat source needs to have a word with themselves...

True, but then the minim wasn't designed for 500W either ;-)

Indeed - at one time I had a small pile of Minims with 500W lamps & cracked lenses on the bench, which rather demonstrated the point :(.

Not being a user of 1200W lights I had totally forgotten that the T29 is a much bigger beasts. I've installed quite a few Starlettes over the years, but they all came with 1kW lamps & the leaflet in the boxes made no mention of needing to move the lamp-holder to fit a T29, though I see that it is mentioned in the Starlette brochure.

Archived