Robe 250xt resetting issue

Keith.bauer

Hi guys

I have an issue with my set up of 4no robe 250xt spots, when set up on DMX they keep resetting themselves randomly during sequences, I have them controlled with a MacBook running light key software and an open DMX interface, it seems like they could be losing the DMX signal? I’m not experienced enough yet to fault find myself, any help is very much appreciated.

Also I have noticed that one of them has a pan error but when functioning it works perfectly well, could this be the cause of the resetting?

If it's happening on all four fixtures then it sounds like you have a common power or DMX issue. These would be my first thoughts:

- Is the DMX line terminated at the final fixture in the chain?

- How long is the DMX cable run? Are you using microphone cable or proper DMX cable?

- Have you tried another DMX interface or controller to rule out the Open DMX interface?

- Are you sure you aren't sending a signal that would command the fixtures to reset? From the user manual, a value of between 128 and 139 on channel 6 is the lamp on/reset command.

Termination or use of microphone cable does not cause this type of issue. Typically random glitching of one fixture would be seen with dodgy cable.

Should be no problem having 4 on a 13a extension, they take about 500W / 2 amps each

When you say "resetting" what are they doing exactly?

The fixture has a control channel which can start a reset by DMX, are you sure you aren't hitting that as part of your sequence? (Channel 6 between 128 and 139)

Thanks for your help

Quite regularly one or all fixtures come up with “rest” or “rst” on the display and they will then go through a reset sequence. This seems to be random and only during DMX control, are you able to tell me how to stop them receiving this DMX command to reset? Do I need to do this via their onboard controls

I'm not familiar with the Mac software you are using, but is it possible that you are activating the control channel? (Ch6, or Ch4 if you have them in 8-bit mode).

You can't stop them receiving the reset command, you need to work out how you are sending it and not send it.

I’m beginning to think the same Brian, my concern is that I have connected 4 cheap Chinese movers and a PR lighting pilot 300 with no issues, it is only when I connect up the 4 robe movers, it makes me think it’s something to do with the robe profile within the software package that’s the problem, I am going to email lightkey who provide the software and see if that have an answer.

Emm yes I think I can view that within the programme, what would I be looking for? It doesn’t seem to be the lamp that is resetting because that would have a time delay on it due to it being a discharge lamp, it seems to be the movement that is resetting.

All 4 fixtures are continually at 133 when operating

This is on channel 6

Emm yes I think I can view that within the programme, what would I be looking for? It doesn’t seem to be the lamp that is resetting because that would have a time delay on it due to it being a discharge lamp, it seems to be the movement that is resetting.

All 4 fixtures are continually at 133 when operating

This is on channel 6

133 on channel 6 would certainly trigger a reset in 16 bit mode. It would reset the movement as you describe, not necessarily re-strike the lamp. May I ask how you are viewing the values sent to the fixtures? If you aren't already, the best way would be to use the DMX values option on the diagnostics menu. To get to it, go InFo > dNIn then select channel 6 and press enter. This will tell you exactly what data the fixture is receiving. If it's still 133, you have a problem with your show on the controller.

Termination or use of microphone cable does not cause this type of issue. Typically random glitching of one fixture would be seen with dodgy cable.

Couldn't rule it out as we don't know that all four fixtures aren't on the same address ;)

I was viewing the DMX output in the software, I’ll check on the fixtures to see what they are receiving, the software is sending 133 continually, each of the 4 fixtures starts on a different DMX address beginning with fixture 1 at 001 then fixture 2 beginning at 017, I will refer back once I check the fixtures

Okay on the actual fixture channel six is continually 133

Keith, 133 on that channel will cause a reset. You need to be sending 0 on that channel. You need to work out what in your program is causing the 133 to be sent out - is there a clear button in the software which turns everything off? Can you program the value to zero?

Couldn't rule it out as we don't know that all four fixtures aren't on the same address ;)

Doesn't matter, termination or cable problems often only affect one fixture even if they are on the same address.

Okay thanks for your assistance, I’ll go out tomorrow and try to find a way of sending a zero signal in channel 6, the fixtures are set up in my garage so I’ll leave it for tonight, I have also emailed lightkey to ask for their assistance,

Once again thanks for all you guys help it’s a great forum!!!!!

Archived