2 upa-1P or 4 nexo ps10

pata

What do you recomend for a small live concert club, 4 nexo ps10 or 2 upa-1P.

The club is for 150 people, and we dont know these speakers, so any advice will be very wellcome and useful.

Pata,

I would be asking :

What SPL do you need to achieve and over what frequency range?

What material wil you be putting through these boxes?

What coverage angle is needed?

What acoustic or logistical problems exist in the venue?

What upgrade paths do you need?

Are there any rider acceptance issues?

Do you have any existing amplifiction/processing?

Choosing your speakers by quoting two well known brands and models may not be the best way forward.

A careful consideration of the financial, technical and logistical merits of several loudspeaker manufacturers seems a better route...

Simon

Well im not an engeneer but a user of those equipments. I got a pair of Meyer UPA's 1p and 4 Nexo's PS 10. Both have pros and cons. But if I take a general look I will no doubt choose for the nexo's ps 10. I tell you why... first of all I think that Meyer Upa's are really over rated. They are very expensive compared to the nexo's ps 10's. If you buy only a pair you might get closer on price cus you need the PS 10 controller and a good amp ( proly a camco or a Labgruppen would be a great choice) but when you buy more than 2 like 4 then you dont need to buy again a new procesor or a new amp then the price of the PS 10's will fall a lot.

Also you dont wanna know the nightmare of rebuilding a Meyer horn. You must call to the factory and send it to them just to see if they can be repaired. If they cant you should buy a new horn ( not the kit ) the whole one. And I know it for experience it costed me over 700 dollars to buy a new one. The reapring kit of the nexo you can get it for aprox 100 pounds and the horn will be like new.

Also when you need to move the boxes the Ps 10's weight almost half the weight of the UPA's ( no amp, cross over etc inside the box).

And for last prolly the Upa's are a bit more powerfull in a box to box comparison. But if I had the budget to buy 2 UPA's I would definetly check first the new Funktion one box Resolution 1. Almost the same price but no doubt a lot better.

Peace!

Bad Rock

sure,

basically we don't know much about this kind of sound, I have a recording studio, so this is what the people that sell the equipment are offering.

of course the nexo people say that upas break more, and that they are way more expensive, because they are only a little more powerfull than the ps10 and cost twice as much (considering the amps and processor for the nexo) they would put 4 subs against 2 from meyer.

meyer people say that upas are twice more powerfull and that also you can save money because you wont need a house eq, since they give you one that is enough. they also say that putting 2 ps10 per side would give you phase cancellation, while nexo people say that this will give you a much better coverage of the room.

I know both brands are good, but what is better for this situation. I read people comparing the upas to the ps15 not the ps10, but maybe 4 ps10 are better that 2 upa?

the concerts will range from dj to full rock and salsa bands.

about the room, its 65 feet long by 17 wide and only 8.5 in hight

the stage its at one end and the sound would be frontal, on both sides of the stage...

thank you for your interest...

pata.

about the room, its 65 feet long by 17 wide and only 8.5 in hight

the stage its at one end and the sound would be frontal, on both sides of the stage... 

thank you for your interest... 

pata.

Hi Pata,

I think you are asking the wrong question (with respect!). Neither system is going to work.

Your room is too long for the available speaker height. You will not get away with a single system at the LR stage position in my opinion. There will be a huge difference between the volume at the front and back.

Consider configuring another set of speakers further down the hall. Have your supplier design for no more than a 6dbA SPL difference anywhere in the room.

Have your designer commit to a degree of coverage. If you find your supplier does not understand your requirements then find another one.

63 ft=20M (ish) ... that is going to drop a good 20dB off at the back,assuming your speakers go at the front.

Cheers

Mark

I think Mark is right about the size of the place but considering that the place will be crowded till the end. Many places are that big but only half full. If you think you gonna put the "sold out" ticket every night then read again what Mark said.

As I said in my previous letter im not an engeneer just a user of those systems but if the solution is to add another box then you should think about Nexo (co$t)

I have used the UPA-1p and the Nexos in a live situation, and like the previous two posters thought your room might be a bit large for the speakers you are referring to.

First of all, I do not think that the UPA cannot be used as a full range speaker, or at least that is what I was told, as I wanted to use only the tops in very small places I played, hence, the need for the USP-1P.

I also thought that the Meyers were very sterile sounding and did not have that urgency that live sound needs. I also think that their directional throw is not as good as the Nexos. I have never seen the UPA's used by themselves, I have only seen them two on a side to maximize directional output.

HOwever, the Nexos tops can be used as full range and they sound great. I also think they sound better and are more cost effective, as another poster already said. Personally, 2 PS15's or 4 PS10's with the appropriate subs would be my choice.

Archived