Festoon Lighting

richard

Hello all

Due to the fast approachingness of the good ole edinburgh festival I am becoming in need of some new festoon lighting, preferably the stuff you make your self with the push-in holders.

Would anyone know of where I could buy some of this stuff from, I need quite a lot, and have had some problems getting it in the past..

Thanks

Richard

Festoon. There is something very soothing about that word.

As in 'don't cry it'll be alright we can repair it and everything will be festoon'

No? Maybe it si just me then.

Sorry no help at all.

• 2 years later...

I'm looking for some of the BC lampholders to replace knackered ones on an existing instalation but cant seem to find them. Would I be able to re-use ones off a pre-built set such as this?

I will be using them at 230V but am asuming these will be ok, I'm also asuming its the same cable as I'm using. The cables external profile is similar to 2.5mm twin and earth. I will, of course, check these things (including over voltage test) before I connect them up but would like to get some advice before I buy and dismantle a set. Also if anyone knows where to buy the fittings alone please enlighten me.

Thanks in advance,

Ike

I'd be very suprised if your local electrical wholesaler doesn't sell the holders, surely places like Newlec would sell them? In fact, after a quick search it turns out that TLC direct stock them, either as the cable and holders seperately or fully assembled systems up to 100 metre at 1m spacings between lamps.

Have you got a link to the TLC page for the individual holders.

Did a bit of phoning round today and found TN Robinsons didn't do them and CEF didn't have them in stock...anywhere! Will try N&E next time I'm in the office.

Thanks,

Ike

PS Forgot to say, they should be able to accept a 60W lamp.

Now this may be some distant memory but I do remember being told by someone from the HSE on a site visit a couple of summers ago that the self assemble Festoon (the type where the holder punctures the cable) was being phased out as it no longer conforms to British Standard due to the hole it leaves in the insulation of the cable, and the associated way in which you can easily remove the lampholders resulting in cable with broken insulations along its length...

Now I am not stating this as fact just something I seem to remember, and having searched for the same thing since that date and having to have searched really hard to obtain it I feel this may be the case.....

We ended up with festoon lampholders that could be conected at the designated lengths along the cable but they would 'lock' once on and could not be removed and moved....

Poppadom

Archived