Automated flys

Digger65

Hi forum

Anyone aware of any traing courses about for automated flys? Accompanying Rigging practices etc? From my experience rigging for automated systems needs to factor in additional safety protocols due to the lack of inherent feedback found in other counterweight and hemp systems, while slackline safety measures are present they dont do much when system is being flown out, bars/scenery catching due to swinging bars etc, therefore standard rigging practices and show running seem to require updating and methods formalizing. Just wondering where the industry is at with this and what quals should.be obtained for using such systems? D

A few of the Automation companies run courses specific to their systems, mostly covering the software side of things, but I have not come across any generic courses. A lot of this will be system specific and if its for a tour or a large show the Automation provider will normally cover it, and if its for a venue they will normally have procedures in place with regards to the system they have, again normally put in place by the automation provider. A lot of the issues you highlight come down to the correct programming of the system and having an alert, trained operator to overcome any problems, many have the ability to program the cues in such a way as to avoid swinging bars and such like.

Take a look at the international code of practice for entertainment rigging, we covered some of the points to look at in that, although its not a "this is how to rig it guide" it is designed to highlight points that may need more attention and try and get everybody in the world working in the same direction as much as can be with all the different rules and regulations around the globe.

HI

I cannot say for training courses with regard to automated flying systems. I can only give some feedback based on the automated system I installed in the theatre I work in.

I have installed 32 lines of ASM PR Spider Hoists. I replaced a pretty appalling Raise & Lower system that was completely unfit for purpose.

a) 28 flyable lines of ASM PR Spider Hoists.

Each hoist is double braked. 250kg WLL, speeds of 5mm-1000mm per second.

b) 4no. fixed speed lines of ASM Spider Hoist.

500kg WLL, Max speed of 82mm per second.

Both options have slack band detection. Like most things in life, this was an option which we insisted at the time of tender and subsequent install/design.

ASM is a german company with dealers in the UK.

ASM Link

The above is to give you some background on where I am coming form.

Albeit the technology has changed, the need for the experienced flyman has not. Yes, I can run 12 bars to within 1mm of your head without you noticing it but fundamentally the knowledge/awareness and experience of a proper flyman is crucial. You still need to understand the pitfalls of flying in a standard house as well as the technological hiccups that can occur. Due to the inherent silent running of the system and inexperienced casts, I sometimes deal with, I often have to employ a spotter on stage to ensure safe flying. Line of sight in my venue is a tricky one for certain items giving even more reason etc.

I would suggest you approach a particular manufacturer with regard to possible training. This would be in conjunction with learning the ropes (pun..) in a counterweight house. With automation, you have changed the method but the skill set and understanding is still required.

There are many options in the design of a proper/safe flying system and money (as usual) seemed to be the biggest factor.. The slack band per lineset cost me extra but worth every penny.

My 2cents

Hope this helps

Eamon

Archived