Console Choices

BobJ

We've just fitted our small theater out with LED lighting. As the current Elation only handles 12 channels we purchased a 192 Channel RHINO (i.e. 12 fixtures by 16 channels). It works well except for one thing, there is no fade out/in between scenes! We can fudge it by recording scenes with dimer channels down and raising them later but it's a kludge at best. Exhaustive searching seems to show that unless you want to pay a lot of money the (smaller) consoles are really meant for DJ's/Bands.

Yep, we could go to software. We have Entec Pro and other USB/DMX dongles with heaps of DMX software suites but still would like that hardware feel under our fingers. Anyone know of a "reasonable" hardware console with at least 192 channels and - most importantly allows scene fades - even if it is only a master fader on board? Thanks.

If you're looking to get above the 'DJ' level but not go into software, and need both generic and intelligent fixture control, I'd have a look at the Zero88 FLX-S. I've not personally used it yet but I was impressed on demo and Z88 always make very solid and reliable hardware that's a step above the Chinese disco controllers. Unfortunately this does come with a step up in price of course - it's priced about the same level as the Jester was, so you're looking about £1.2k inc VAT. For what you get though that seems a pretty good deal to me.

Software can often provide much better value for money - though if you need to buy a computer, perhaps a fader wing etc. then it doesn't start to look as good. If you can use existing hardware though the main options are the Avolites Titan One, ETC Nomad, grandMA on PC, Martin M-PC, and the MagicQ dongle (which is definitely cheapest of the lot). Then as you say there's the more generic USB-DMX convertors and software. I'm not a big fan of software based control personally but YMMV.

A lot of the 192 channel desks have time faders, do these provide a fade time for scene changeovers ? What model RHINO do you have ?

Its the U240 and yes it does have a fade function but it's only available in chases where the scene can only be held for 10 minutes. As mentioned it's good for the DJ stuff, but even our old elation that only has 12 x 2 channels can crossfade or master fade between the scenes (that was with legacy lamps of course)

If you're looking to get above the 'DJ' level but not go into software, and need both generic and intelligent fixture control, I'd have a look at the Zero88 FLX-S. I've not personally used it yet but I was impressed on demo and Z88 always make very solid and reliable hardware that's a step above the Chinese disco controllers. Unfortunately this does come with a step up in price of course - it's priced about the same level as the Jester was, so you're looking about £1.2k inc VAT. For what you get though that seems a pretty good deal to me.

Software can often provide much better value for money - though if you need to buy a computer, perhaps a fader wing etc. then it doesn't start to look as good. If you can use existing hardware though the main options are the Avolites Titan One, ETC Nomad, grandMA on PC, Martin M-PC, and the MagicQ dongle (which is definitely cheapest of the lot). Then as you say there's the more generic USB-DMX convertors and software. I'm not a big fan of software based control personally but YMMV.

Wow! you know your boards I need to wade through them. Personally I can live with software. I've tried a lot but really like the QLC Plus. Apart from having a very exoteric (separate software) fixture profiler the program can host audio and video material. A real boon for our smaller theater. Hardware wise it looks on paper as though the King Kong offers a good bang for the buck. Anyone out there have any experience with it?

Your setup sounds perfect for an ETC ColorSource console.

40 or 80 "fixtures" with any number of "DMX channels" in a single DMX universe, depending on the model.

The 20-fader (40 fixture) version sounds about right for you.

(The "AV" version has a second DMX port, Ethernet for DMX-over-Ethernet and remote control, audio, and HDMI for local monitor or projected scenery FX, though it doesn't sound like you need those.)

- Note that most modern "LED and moving light" consoles use "Channel" to mean "independent luminaire", regardless of how many DMX addresses each of your lights actually uses.

Just as a completely left-field suggestion which may allow you to do what you want, though admittedly not too elegantly... Could you do all your intelligent fixture LTP stuff (ie. positions, colours, gobos, focus, effects) on your Rhino console, and patch just the dimmer channels for each fixture to your Elation (assuming it has patch capabilities). Using a DMX merger/combiner unit (can be bought for under £100) you can merge the DMX streams, allowing you dimmer control of all the fixtures, and the attribute control which you need. It would be a bit cumbersome to programme, as you would have to sale cue lists on both consoles and run them simultaneously, but depending on the complexity of what you do, it may be a way of making things happen with minimum further expense.

We've just fitted our small theater out with LED lighting. As the current Elation only handles 12 channels we purchased a 192 Channel RHINO (i.e. 12 fixtures by 16 channels). It works well except for one thing, there is no fade out/in between scenes! We can fudge it by recording scenes with dimer channels down and raising them later but it's a kludge at best. Exhaustive searching seems to show that unless you want to pay a lot of money the (smaller) consoles are really meant for DJ's/Bands.

Yep, we could go to software. We have Entec Pro and other USB/DMX dongles with heaps of DMX software suites but still would like that hardware feel under our fingers. Anyone know of a "reasonable" hardware console with at least 192 channels and - most importantly allows scene fades - even if it is only a master fader on board? Thanks.

Zero88 FLX S24 would be perfect for you. Has the ability for 48 Fixtures, programming, colour picker for RGB or CMY fixtures. Cost about £1200 + VAT, so not going to break the bank. Also, Zero88 has a 1st class reputation for customer service and satisfaction, this is always worth considering when perchasing equipment.

Archived