3D ready projector lumens?

raviori

The particular projector I'm about to get is AAXA P700. Even though Im skeptical it is 650 ANSI lumens, I still would like to know if in active 3d projector such as this one are the lumens stated for the projection after the light has passed a polarizer, or before it? Would be a dirty thing to advertise it twice as bright and measure before a polarizer film but hey, marketing.

To be ANSI Lumens it would need to be measured in accordance with ANSI standards - from what I can see they are using active shutter technology in the glasses - which just means the projector is capable of playing back the media (and syncing the timing with active glasses using DLP Link) - the glasses will define how much brightness you loose. I doubt they will be able to support 3d at 50 or 60Hz too - I would suppose that they would support it at 25Hz.

That said:

[*] There are a LOT of very odd claims... They claim "650 LED Lumens" not ANSI Lumens... and "350 LED Lumens" on battery. LED Lumens sounds a bit like "the LED emitter is 650 lumens" so there are potentially a lot more losses from the optical path than just 3d tech.

[*] They claim it is good for "up to 150" screen" - to get 160(ish) lux which is what you need in a completely dark room (cinema style) you need about 1,000 lumens for a 150" screen Add to that losses from the glassess...

But the optics are 'turbo charged' so it must be bright http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

In fact, reviews seem to be positive....but.....

According to the PC Mag review

Unlike the vast majority of DLP-based projectors, it does not support the projection of 3D content.

Theres AAXA P700 and AAXA P700 Pro. The Pro version supports 3d. If I recall the price difference is just $50 so not sure why there are two versions.

Anyway, I got mine delivered today. Definitely light coming out is not polarized.

Haven't measured the lumens yet but seems pretty bright, good enough for me for a 120 inch screen in a dark room, definitely too dim for polarized 3d at those sizes.

Definitely send a 1080p video signal to it otherwise the trapezoidal pixels cause artifacts at native or 720p resolution.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this for use theatrically or at home?

650 lumens? The domestic projectors I have are 3k, and I think you should be looking in that region, especially for 3D. The brightness will be halved by the time the image goes through your glasses as you will only be seeing L or R at any one time

Really I have little idea what passes for acceptable in someone's home (I do commercial stuff) but 650 does sound real low to me. Most 3D in cinemas looks crap because it's simply too dark (and most projectionists turn the brightness down to save the bulb too!).

Lumens is a measure of the brightness on the screen, not what you see.

Archived