Pilot 250

dmxeater

Does any body know where the cheepest place I could get 4 of these, and the total price incl. the cost of shipping to UK ? ;)

Can't do much wrong in trying Thomann... They should pop up in B-)

Stu

Are these units any good. I know they are not you Mac 250 but for a budget spec they are the closest you get to them and out of the budget moving lights (under 1k in my books) they seem to be the ones with the highest spec and PR don’t seem to have a bad reputation.

Peoples views on them from people who own them please, please do not say the Mac250 is better or Robe something or other as they are way out of anything I can afford. I wouldn’t even dream of touching the showtec things as they are really rubbish moving heads but these look as if they could cut it. Not in a theatre but for small to medium sized gigs.

Thanks for your input in advanced…

we have covered this before, but I have been very pleased with the pearl river 250's and 300's. Not used the washlights, but suspect they're similar.

To save you looking, the differences I found that are worth mentioning between these and Mac 250's.

The casing is a sort of rubberised finish, not shiny plastic. Touching them is odd! Optics wise - they are very similar, but the focus range is slightly less, so you can't make the image very soft, like the Macs - it still has a little hard edge left. The pan and tilt is slightly noisier than a Mac in 'as new' condition. The 300 has two gobo wheels and a decent variety of standard gobos. The mac has the better suspension system with the quick release plate. pricewise, I'd go for them over Macs based on features and benefits.

The distributer is Miltec - their web site

worth contacting in case they can suggest a supplier cheaper than thomann. (Mine actually came from Thomann, as at that time I couldn't find a UK dealer who had them ex stock)

I've actually got some more Pearl River kit on the way at the moment - The factory in China is reachable, with email and phone contact easy.

Like most Chinese product available at the moment, they have (I think the most appropriate word is) plagiarised tried and tested designs, and made them available at lower prices. Think what you will about this, but I'm comfy with it.

thomann are decent, and charge £15 delivery, no matter how much you order. If it's in stock 2-3 days is usual

If you buy something you don't like, they'll take it back if you pay return postage.

They also make their own flightcases for movers - the pearl river ones are double cases and have a really neat little cubby hole that lets you drop little forgotten items into the case after the lid's been shut.

• 4 years later...
I've actually got some more Pearl River kit on the way at the moment - The factory in China is reachable, with email and phone contact easy.

Hi Paul,

I'm looking in to getting a couple of the PR Pilot 250's and was curious to know what you think about there reliability after having some PR gear for a few years?

Thanks,

Jeremy

I think Yates's Winelodges used to install them at one time, and I seem to remember they kept them running during the day as well as at night....if thats any help!

Their stand at PLASA was always quite impressive.

Well, I have to say the 250's I bought were always rather ok - no long term issues, and although I don't work there any longer, I know the current people and nobody has had any complaints I'm aware of. The Pearl River followspots were also a good buy. Morrissey's LD decided to use them rather than struggle up into the roof with theirs, and was quite happy with the colour and dimmer curve. the guys who opped them also had no problems. These things get pretty abused - long periods of damp, and a bird made a nest on one of the fan grills. Since we bought them, the 250s and the followspots have got a little noisy - stepper motors that were quiet when new, now are louder - but they are still smooth in operation, just a little whiney.

Archived