Vari Lite series 200 control

cs75

Hi,

I'm a student on a lighting design and technology course at USW. I've recently acquired a VL2C and am keen to learn more about it with the hope of getting it functioning again one day.

I was wondering if there are any VL2 experts out there who are able to explain a bit more about how the series 200 control protocol works? The research I've done so far seems to suggest there are two control pairs, a TX and an RX pair but that's about as far as I've got.

Anyone out there who could shed some light?

Thanks very much

• 2 weeks later...
I am not a series 200 expert by any stretch of the imagination, but from what I have read your lamp power and low voltage servo motor control is all out of the fixture in your ACS racks, which is fed down to your Series 200 fixtures by a repeater. Control is non DMX. Power and data are connected by a 9 pin (I think) CPC connector. You'd probably want to look at what the DMX200 interface does and how that transcodes to DMX in a legacy series 200 system.

I am not a series 200 expert by any stretch of the imagination, but from what I have read your lamp power and low voltage servo motor control is all out of the fixture in your ACS racks, which is fed down to your Series 200 fixtures by a repeater. Control is non DMX. Power and data are connected by a 9 pin (I think) CPC connector. You'd probably want to look at what the DMX200 interface does and how that transcodes to DMX in a legacy series 200 system.

Steve:

So I need the following:

repeater

Light cable (9pin)

ACS rack

DMX protocol converter (Goes in rack?)

What items do I need to control one VL2C ligh with DMX protocolt?

Thakks Chris Cotter

yeser111@netzero.net

Do you know how I can find any Series 200 VL2C light support . I am also looking for a mini asc rack and a Series 200 Protocol converter. I will be using 1 or 2 Series 200 lamps and cables. Any info on Series 200 lights and support equipment will be welcome. I will be using 1 or 2 VL2C liights and I will be using a DMX board to control.

Hi everyone!

I have few VL2C:s, 1 VL4 and a DMX200 converter. All good and running. I think both data pairs inside the lamp cable are needed to fully operate Series 200 fixture.

The DMX200 converter is pretty hard to find these days, I found mine from US. Few years ago PRG scrapped all S200 fixtures and control hardware, so not too much available anymore. Thats why I wanted these too, for historical purposes. :)

If somebody has a Mini ACS rack or VL4 fixtures, I am also interested.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm a student on a lighting design and technology course at USW. I've recently acquired a VL2C and am keen to learn more about it with the hope of getting it functioning again one day.

I was wondering if there are any VL2 experts out there who are able to explain a bit more about how the series 200 control protocol works? The research I've done so far seems to suggest there are two control pairs, a TX and an RX pair but that's about as far as I've got.

Anyone out there who could shed some light?

Thanks very much

The light does use 2 pair between console and light. If you are using a DMX200 converter to control with generic DMX board it still needs both pairs between the light and DMX200 protocol converter.

The input from generic console feeding DMX 200 converter is standard DMX only needing one pair. It is a RS-422 setup. The converter is master and light slave. If I get a DMX unit I will try to help you more. It is a proprietary system.

Archived