Slim Par Light Quality

evans3001

I just bought the Equinox MaxiPar Tri 12 to use an uplighter. I've only bought one to check it's suitability and I was disappointed to see that when placed against a wall, the lower part of the beam is made up of circles of red, blue and white.

Photo: IMG_20171023_152354214_HDR

I'm planning to return this product.

Has anyone experienced the same problem with cheap LED pars? Is this normal, or a faulty light?

I've tried adding a clear gel, which does improve it, but reduces the brightness.

Thanks

I just bought the Equinox MaxiPar Tri 12 to use an uplighter. I've only bought one to check it's suitability and I was disappointed to see that when placed against a wall, the lower part of the beam is made up of circles of red, blue and white.

It's just scatter from the side of the lenses - they all do it to some extent when you put them very close to something. It's because there are separate R/G/B/W emitters inside each lens and they are all slightly offset from the focal point of the lens.

Normally the scatter is very dim and not really noticeable compared to the main light beam - but if it bothers you you could probably make a short tube out of blackwrap or black paper to catch the scattered light.

Facetious answer is that it sounds like it's faulty to me as from a tri fixture you'd expect red/blue/green rather than red/blue/white.

Serious answer is that it's exactly what you'd expect from a cheaper fixture as the individual lenses aren't good enough to diffuse the light enough to mix the RGB from the 3 separate LEDs sufficiently before it comes out the unit and it relies on a little distance to do the job.

Depending on what you're using it for, is anyone really going to notice or care though?

Edit - beaten by Tim

Archived