A 'magic mirror' - is this possible with sharkstooth gauze?

chaoticbob

Hi - first post, hope this is in the right forum.

I've been doing voluntary prop/scenery making for a local am-dram group for about 15 years -it's pretty much string and sealing-wax.

This year's Xmas panto calls for a 'magic mirror' which the dame sits in front of, then after a bit of business a 'monster' suddenly appears to be reflected. We were thinking this might be doable with scenic/sharkstooth gauze and appropriate lighting, but we've no experience using this stuff.

So first question: is this a completely nuts idea? I've seen the effect used in pro theatre of course, and it is magical, but that's been over full sets, not the localised effect we're looking for. Apologies if this seems a bit vague to the pro's out there!

Bob.

Thanks for your reply Brian. I guess I wasn't clear enough in my original post though - the effect we're looking for is a 'mirror' which would be an opaque surface when front-lit, but would reveal a 'monster' as an apparent reflection (which would be some suitable prop behind the mirror) when back-lit. Question is if this can be achieved with sharkstooth gauze for the mirror surface.

Cheers, Bob.

Gauze will not work as a mirror.

I have used the method in Brian's post.

Looks like a mirror from the font and shows the persons image as a miror does.

When front lighting dimmed and rear lighting brought up the mirror becomes transparent and can see what is behind the mirror.

Cheers

Gerry

You're not being especially clear whether you want the "mirror" to actually be a mirror. If you do then perspex and tinted 2-way mirror coating or ready-made 2 way mirror is your only option though it will cause issues reflecting stage lights back in to the audience's face and if you turn it to an angle to stop that happening it will give half the audience a perfect view in to the wings/pit where they will see backstage people picking their noses. It it's just got to look like a painted cartoon mirror and not do any reflecting then become "see-thru" at a key moment then yes that is what sharkstooth gauze was invented to do and that's the way it's done in many pro panto's - HOWEVER it's nowhere near as simple as that. You'll need a secondary curtain immediately behind the gauze that's only opened a few moment before the translucent reveal, you'll have to spend lots of time messing around with lighting so that the reveal only happens precisely when you want it (the slightest bit of lighting overspil kills it) and finally after all that work any audience member closer than 50ft will still be able to see it's not a solid painted surface and will spot ghosting and errors all the time. It's really not worth the hassle.

I too have used the mirror film (solar film from a glazing company) technique many, many times and it works a treat. If you are careful you can gently heat-shrink it on a frame so you don't always have to use a perspex substrate.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you're actually looking for a real mirror here? I think you want it to look like the dame is sitting in front of a mirror (by having a frame etc that makes it seem like that) but then have a monster face appear that is not being reflected - just comes and goes as required.

If that is the case then you could certainly use a gauze to create the effect. If you built the apparatus in such a way that you could get a person wearing a monster mask behind the gauze then put a top light above them. You could crossfade between the front light when you don't want to see the monster and the top light when you do. This would most certainly work. You could get extra humour from the fact that the monster could make the same moves as the dame, to make it look like it really was a mirror (even though it isn't - it's just a lot of rehearsal!).

Many thanks for your detailed comment ImagineerTom. Exactly the sort of info I was looking for.

Reason I wasn't explicit about whether it should actually be a mirror was because I wasn't entirely sure what the stage manager had in mind or what was possible - what happens with this group is the 'creatives' come up with an idea then the stage manager passes it to me hoping I'll come up with something.

It sounds like Brian and Gerry have made the half-silvered idea work, but I've always steered clear of reflective surfaces on stage for the reasons ImagineerTom mentions. We'll rethink this.

Thanks again for the comments guys, very helpful.

Bob

Hi again, written before reading kitlane's and Just Some Bloke's comments, sorry.

Sounds like this can be made to work after all!

Just Some Bloke - you have the idea entirely. The mirror will be on a dressing table, so I could make an open-backed enclosure with its own internal lighting behind it.

kitlane do you remember what the stuff you used is called and where you got it? If local, maybe I could scrounge a 'sample' from them - I see you're in Derby, so same neck of the woods (I'm in Wirksworth).

Cheers, Bob

if you turn it to an angle to stop that happening it will give half the audience a perfect view in to the wings/pit where they will see backstage people picking their noses.

Or, as we discovered (in time) at the parts of the stage (and cast) you aren't really supposed to see in "Calendar Girls" http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif

Just Some Bloke - you have the idea entirely. The mirror will be on a dressing table, so I could make an open-backed enclosure with its own internal lighting behind it.

Exactly what I've done before now. I used mirror lights down each side both on front and behind. When on you could see the ones behind through the 'mirror' but because I'd fixed the front and back sets at the same height the rear ones just looked like a reflection. As for reflecting what's in the wings...it only takes 10 minutes to find an angle which works.

kitlane do you remember what the stuff you used is called and where you got it? If local, maybe I could scrounge a 'sample' from them - I see you're in Derby, so same neck of the woods (I'm in Wirksworth).

Cheers, Bob

Hi

Unfortunatley it is long enough ago that I can't remember the details. I have a vague recollection that we got it from a company in the Stafford area. If you google 'Solar Film' you will find plenty of companies that can supply it. This one for example.

It's hard these days to work out from a web search if a company is truly local or not but a local glazing firm might be sufficiently intrigued with what you are doing to donate a piece for testing.

If you used to visit Derby Playhouse then you may have seen some of my work.

There's no-one in the uk actually "making" the mirror / solar film so going on a long quest to find a "local" supplier is pointless as you'll be buying the same chinese made stuff you can get on ebay for 1/10th the price.

Tips

• the "wet float" method for applying it is the best method, it feels totally counter-intuitive (won't more water kill the glue?) but it really is the best method
  • the first time you try to apply it it will be a mess so buy some extra film & a piece of perspex so you can practice on a small section a few times.
  • you will need a good squeegee - one with a really solid handle (you're putting a lot of force on it) and a deep rubber blade. Ironically I found a narrow 6" one was better than the bigger window-cleaner one as you could apply more pressure and focus on trouble areas
  • dust/dirt is your enemy - make sure the perspex is completely clean and dust free before you start; dust trapped under the film causes a blister 100 times the size of the piece of dust
  • After you've applied it there will still be a few bubbles & blisters. Leave it 24 hours then re-squeegee it to get the last few out. if a bubble just wont go then prick it with a pin.

Brian - sounds like you've done something very similar to what I'm after. The Dame has asked for mirror lights around the frame, so I can use your idea of making the rear lights look like reflections. Thanks!

kitlane - thanks for the link. I need only a square metre and at < £20 I'll just buy it rather than touting round for a freebie I think. I have been to Derby Playhouse many a time over the last 20 years, so have quite possibly seen your work!

ImagineerTom - thanks for your tips.

I'll let you know how it all goes.

Cheers, Bob.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to wind this up - we went for an 8x4 flat with a 2'6" square cutout for the 'mirror' and used sharkstooth. It took ages to get the lighting (from overhead bars) right, but the effect is quite spectacular, by our panto standards at least.. Needs a bit of refinement to stop light leak, but not bad for a first go.

Many thanks for the advice. It really will seem like magic to the kiddies in the audience (and perhaps to some grown-ups too!)

Rob.

Archived