frequency compatibility

gibbothegreat

Hi all,

Wondering if there was a quick and dirty was of choosing a frequency for a single in-ear in the same TV channel (38) as 4 x BP radiomics? Can't immediately find the info on Sennheiser's site, nor can I find a thread about it on here, though that could be down to my bad choice of search terms.. all help much appreciated.

If you're trying to use 4 radio mics and 1 IEM together, I think you're into frequency and intermod planning with SIFM.

http://en-uk.sennhei...s-sifm-software

With the IEM in there, I'm not sure if you can just pick 5 intermod free frequencies from one of Sennheisers radio mic frequency plans (https://en-us.sennhe...charts_2014.pdf). I believe the IEMs use a wider slice of bandwidth than radio mics.

I found this on Sennheiser's site: "In a vacant television channel you can operate up to 8 wireless microphone systems or about 6 wireless IEM systems." so picking a "clean" radio mic frequency for the IEM probably isn't going to result in a viable frequency allocation for your mic/IEM combination.

And this on the Shure site:

"If the wireless setup is more complex, for example using wireless microphones and wireless in-ear monitors together, it may be necessary to use a frequency coordination computer program to insure[sic] compatibility."

Over to the experts...!

It's generally good practice to keep mics and IEMs in different bands. I'm sure plenty of people get away with mixing them but it's risky. If the IEM and a mic tx are mounted on the same person, then you really want some space (both physical and RF) between them.

With only 5 channels of rf, this shouldn't be a problem. For quick and easy... As the IEM has the largest bandwidth, I would use frequencies from one of the IEMs groups and copy them to the beltpacks. You can verify compatibility in sifm,or workbench or other software.

You may also find that by switching the IEM transmitter to mono and turning off pilot tone, you can use the IEM on the group frequencies of the beltpacks. Putting it in mono reduces the bandwidth used significantly.

As with anything rf, there's no guarantee, so test it on site with transmitters in place and on to make sure it works.

Archived