selling kit on Facebook

mitchino

I agree 13.4% ebay/ paypal fees on sales above £100 gets greedy. fees use to be capped, but that stopped a few years ago

Ebay pay little to no Uk tax.

Amazing how many companies think they are making a profit when they are selling something, when in fact they are making a loss!

Also a bit wrong that companies like to be vat registered when buying new kit and reclaiming the vat, but when it comes to be sold on ebay, under their company name as a username, somehow a vat receipt is not possible with the line "kit belongs to me personally not the company"

Buyers pick up the phone, and shop around on other sites, ebay is not always the cheapest. Also try not to time waste sellers, asking lots of questions, with no real intent to buy!

Brian although your statement is true, its a little confusing, suggesting vat can be reclaimed from a vat registered business even if they don't produce a receipt for purchases under £250. which is not true, a simplified vat receipt can be used

my point is also relating to businesses claiming the goods being sold no longer belong to the business and are now personal sales! (and therefore have no vat included on the hammer price at the online auction)

To reclaim the vat on purchases under £250 a simplified vat receipt can be used.

a simplified vat invoice must included all of the following

vat number

business name and address

invoice number

+ more

see

https://www.gov.uk/vat-record-keeping/vat-invoices

The problem is often simply finding the vat number as very few people selling as a business give their number. I do, but in years of buying and selling one two people ever asked for a vat number and it's no skin off my nose to provide them a vat invoice. I've just stopped selling three of my most popular long term microphones on eBay because I can't compete on price with idiots buying from the same source and selling for silly prices!

my point is also relating to businesses claiming the goods being sold no longer belong to the business and are now personal sales! (and therefore have no vat included on the hammer price at the online auction)

Of course, if they're doing it properly, they should be paying the VAT themselves when they 'pay' the money back from their personal account to the business after the sale... To do otherwise is arguably VAT fraud.

Archived