Cleaning Faders

TommyToad

Hi.

I'm working with a Jands Event Vista (or something similar) that is pretty old, and I noticed today when using the faders on our new mixer that the faders on the Jands are VERY "slow". Is there any way to lubricate or clean beneath the faders so they move more smoothly?

Are they 'jumping' (or reading incorrectly), or just require more force to move than the sound desk?

If the former, then they do need cleaning or overhauling, and you want something along the lines of contact cleaner.

If the latter - it's probably a feature.

Lighting desks generally have stiffer faders than sound desks (exceptions exist of course - notably the Pearl 2004).

No real reason why that's the case though - personal preference of the designer of the desk interface probably.

I've heard of conducting lubricants designed for faders, but can't think of any actual brands.

Well if its old, then it is definetley not a Vista! :P

Is it an Event 3, or an Event 4?

The 4 has a moving light section, the 3 doesn't. The 3 have faders that can seem thighter then many other consoles. That doesn't necessarily mean that there is something wrong whit them.

Are you experiencing any problems, or are you just looking to maintain it?

Spantax

LampettGeneralen

Are they 'jumping' (or reading incorrectly), or just require more force to move than the sound desk?

if either of the above is the case the best thing to do is to use an anti static air gun or canister, you can get these from most computer shops and anywhere like RS it is the same as you should use to clean fans and circuit boards, if there is still a problem after that there is a great product called "super solve" (sp?) that you spray lightly onto the contacts and just let it air dry, this will normally help.

the other option is to replace the faders, not too difficult if you have a decent soldering iron and idealy a de soldering iron but it can be done without.

it is of course possible that it is a feature and is meant to be like that, but if its not and you are not happy with carrying out the replacement of faders yourself there are service departments with most distributors and manufactures that will do it. however even though I work in a service department I would say try to have a go yourself as its not that hard and can cost a lot for what it is if you send it into anyone.

Ben

Lightfactor Service

Thanks for all the answers.

There is some faders that are jumpy, I.e the circuit gets cut at one or several positions. But as you all said, I think it's a feature. It's a Event 3 btw. Not the vista, my head was not clear at all. (But I would not mind have a Vista :blink: )

So, replacing the faders is a option to make them more sensitive. I'll think I will have to pass that. But I need to fix the faders that does not work at all positions.

Thanks again.

I have to agree whit Mr. Fitzpatrick, the best thing to do is replace them. most likely they have started to wear out and there is not much use in spending a lot of time cleaning them out, and lubing them just to have them work for a few more months, and then have to change them!

Now if you are doing a show in the middle of nowhere and this happens on some of your faders, it is amassing how far you can get whit some dishwashing soap, a dishwasher brush some vaseline and a stove... :blink:

Spantax

LampettGeneralen

I'm going to assume the stove is for the innumerable cuppas required while trying to clean the damn things. Honestly, it takes ages to do well :blink: as I just finished cleaning the faders on my Tempus 18 non memory (ahh, the call of the old skool)

Now if you are doing a show in the middle of nowhere and this happens on some of your faders, it is amassing how far you can get whit some dishwashing soap, a dishwasher brush some vaseline and a stove... B-)

Until I got to the stove, I wasn't sure if we were still talking about field slider repair, or dealing with gig butt... ;)

Seriously, the Vasoline is a pretty good trick, though I could never seem to get it off the plastic slider caps later.

-jjf

Now if you are doing a show in the middle of nowhere and this happens on some of your faders, it is amassing how far you can get whit some dishwashing soap, a dishwasher brush some vaseline and a stove... B-)

Until I got to the stove, I wasn't sure if we were still talking about field slider repair, or dealing with gig butt... ;)

Seriously, the Vaseline is a pretty good trick, though I could never seem to get it off the plastic slider caps later.

-jjf

Thank God I have never suffered from gig butt, but I have seen a couple of my friends go trough it! ;)

The best is to get hold of a canister of liquid vaseline, that way you won't get it all over the plastic slider caps.

Spantax

LampettGeneralen

We have problems with the daders on an Jands Event Plus, we are constantly cleaning the faders but at times you do need to replace them. Is becoming a costly task, time hopefully for a new console

We have problems with the daders on an Jands Event Plus, we are constantly cleaning the faders but at times you do need to replace them. Is becoming a costly task, time hopefully for a new console

What kind of environment does the console live in, since you constantly have to clean the faders? Could it be that the constant cleaning is killing them?

How old is the console? I'm asking because so far I have only had to change faders on Event 3 (plus) consoles when they have been physically abused or if they had one drink to many! B-)

Spantax

LampettGeneralen

We have problems with the daders on an Jands Event Plus, we are constantly cleaning the faders but at times you do need to replace them.

How are you cleaning them? As I've posted before, cleaning faders with the wrong material will actually shorten their life. The tracks in a fader have a built-in lubrication; too much cleaning of the wrong sort will dry the tracks out and cause them to wear.

Archived