Retired Tecs,

bugg

If you retire from the industry, where do go, wot do you do, how can I find you with an interesting offer?

Well if they are anything like I expect I will be when that time comes - nothing.

Because I know that when I die I'll still be doing the job be it 40 or 80!

And soon after that I'll be placed lovingly into a flightcase for the last time for the trip down under...

Rofl!

Stu

And soon after that I'll be placed lovingly into a flightcase for the last time for the trip down under...

Any special requests? Lift-off lid, or hinged? 19" rack-mounted sound system included (In case you get there and find the fiery sound effects used in Hades woefully lacking in bass)? Castors? We really need specifics!

Well it'll have to be long enough to take my 6ft corpse, so thats a must!

After that I'd prefer one with castors, and a lift off lid. Painted in the classic black look, without stickers, gaffer or any other annoying crap you find on the average flight case.

However I would accept a Martin or Vari*Life logo ablazoned on the side.

Perhaps a nice plaque saying "Went doing what he did best.... Not listening for shouts of HEADS!"

I would also like to be buried with 2 T-Spots, because if I'm going to rot in hell, I'd want to be bloody well assured before I go that they would be too!

<_<

Stu

From what I remember from working a venue that dealt with A LOT of local amateur companies. Most groups seemed to have some sort of ex tech with their company. This ranged from ‘ I used to do lighting and sound when I was at school’ to ‘ I am a retired engineer who used to work for the national television service for 30 years’ (Not Mr Wood please note).

It seems that people go into jobs with regular hours and better pay to support their families.

Your question how do I contact them? Try the amateur theatre websites um.. NODA? and such like as well as here and the stage newspaper message board

As for Stu's final exit from this world I think that the music should be played from a revox with suitable start and stop clunks and lotsa hiss during the song. Or if you are a (ex) kids dance company (ex)tech your funeral msuic should be spread over 5 casettes to be played back to back. Tee and indeed sombre hee.

Seriously speaking, a lot of technicians don't stay in the industry their whole career. Many go on to other careers once they reach the "too old to climb ladders day in day out" stage... and then they join amdrams.

How about education?

We are recruiting for a theatre technician, the advert copy is below, with further information at Winchester College, then click on "Jobs".

Theatre Technician

A multi-skilled theatre technician with a bias towards set building and lighting, you will be able to work on your own initiative, leading and assisting pupils and staff in all aspects of stagecraft.

The ideal candidate will be flexible in approach to role and working hours, and will need to be capable of working comfortably at height. Working with existing school technicians, you will support a wide variety of school events and lettings to external organisations, as well as undertaking 1st line maintenance of theatre fixtures and equipment. Implementing fully the College's H&S policy for the department will also be an essential aspect of this post.

Closing date: 1 August 2003

Application form

Also posted to "Classifieds"

Guest lightnix
...Many go on to other careers once they reach the "too old to climb ladders day in day out" stage...
Yeh, know what ya mean :mellow:

Whats the betting my age would go against me
Mine would too, probably :stagecrew:

Isn't the fun going out of ladder climbing since we have started phasing out creaking wooden a frames?

Maybe not a needed post but hey I wanna get my pips. I might not be able to get to a computer for the next two weeks due to heavy work load.

Blue dots please.....

Archived