Shout Speakers - Recommendations

jbaileypro

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations for a couple of shout speakers for foh to mons communication. I've seen the usual small Behringer vocal hot spot monitor type boxes but wondered it there is anything else out there that people recommend?

Having a mic pre-amp built in is a plus but not necessary as I usually have a free channel at both ends to take it up to line level anyway. It may also be nice to be able to pipe a cue mix from the desk for small corporate jobs.

I have also looked at Thomann's own offerings as they usually seem decent for the money. Or maybe is it better to go a for a pair of powered studio monitors? Anybody used any of the following?

Pro Achat 104 A

Pro TP 105 MA

Behringer B205D (most popular)

Thanks,

I have one of the Thomann Achat 104A's and it's brilliant. Very good build quality and it feels very chunky. Mine took a tumble off of the top of a wheeled flightcase last month (that I'd stupidly loaded up too high) and it's just fine. Little scuff off of the paint and nothing else.

One and only gripe - the volume knob sticks out of the back so is susceptible to being knocked and, potentially, snapping the pot. It doesn't stick out very far, but it would have been nice if it had been flush.

They sound fine - surprisingly good amount of bottom end for such a small cabinet. I regularly take mine to play sound effects in from my laptop at rehearsals and it's perfectly up to the job. I'm in the process of buying a second at the minute.

They're a wooden cabinet so are surprisingly chunky.

Only other thing of note - the threads on the box are M6, which is really odd as the 204 cabinets have a mic stand thread on one end, which is way more useful for this kind of thing. I feel the 204 is getting a bit big to be on a mic stand whereas the 104 is built for it - so why put the mic thread on the wrong box? Thankfully it comes with a simple yoke so I just fasten the yoke to the stand using an adapter I have. Thomann also sell this though which I suspect is a reaction to realising they'd messed up the thread sizes;

https://www.thomann...._adapter_m6.htm

Edit to add - alternatively there's the Canford "brick";

http://www.canford.co.uk/CANFORD-POWERED-DIECAST-LOUDSPEAKER

They're not the cheapest and seem to hold their value so they're hardly ever available as bargains on ebay.

I have Fostek and Canford units wbich are used for this sort of thing very successfully, I kind of prefer the Canford but that may be because I have more of them or the volume knob sticks out more and is easier to use. Never got round to mounting on mic stands ot anything else but they have taps top and bottom which are not as big as M6

Also get to use the Behringer's which are bigger and punchier and do foldback better.

Really satisfied with all 3 types.

Edit: Fostek & Canford are basic xlr line level in with volume control only, no tone controls.

Archived