Safety fail in the events side...

Ynot

This one popped up on a FB feed - http://www.abcactionnews.com/money/consumer/taking-action-for-you/wedding-disaster-has-couple-headed-to-court

Had to give a wry smile near the end as they were getting opinions from a 'wedding planner' on the structural questions around the support for the backdrop - but whilst there are no really clear pictures or video of what actually happened, what limited shots they do have do suggest that the support for what appeared to be quite a tall structure didn't look adequate for the job.

I can see the wedding events world wanting the least possible footprint for this sort of thing - aesthetics perhaps in the place of safety.

But not really a good finish to the couple's festivities.

From the pictures I recognise it as the pipe-n-drape system that is incredibly common in america - every hotel ballroom will have a mountain of the stuff and it's usually assembled by the same people who put the chairs out.

That's what I saw, but the pipe 'n' drape that I use on occasions over here have 18" or 24" heavy steel bases, rather that the very small looking box bases those have - hence a tragedy just waiting to happen...

That's what I saw, but the pipe 'n' drape that I use on occasions over here have 18" or 24" heavy steel bases, rather that the very small looking box bases those have - hence a tragedy just waiting to happen...

I often work alongside a company that does a lot of pipe and drape work. There is a range of systems out there, some built far more substantially than others. Some of the cheap versions are made of very lightweight materials.

The longest uprights they generally work with will go up to 6m, but in those cases the existing 600mm baseplates are either bolted to larger 900mm x 6mm steel plates or additional stage weights or concrete blocks are put on top of them. Just bumping into them shouldn't bring them down if rigged sensibly.

American hotel ballrooms / event spaces often have phenomenally high powered air conditioning systems - in the event videos they show full height frames with drapes over them flat against walls; one of those in front of an Aircon vent would go over in no time.

Archived