DMX desk

sunray

Problem traced to Showmaster only outputting a universe of 49 DMX channels.

My local hall uses a Showmaster 48 (24 channel, 2 preset) into a Zero88 Demux48 (then onto 4 analogue Betapacks plus four LEDJ 9HEX10s) without issue. I'm surprised going straight into DMX Betapacks causes an issue.

My local hall uses a Showmaster 48 (24 channel, 2 preset) into a Zero88 Demux48 (then onto 4 analogue Betapacks plus four LEDJ 9HEX10s) without issue. I'm surprised going straight into DMX Betapacks causes an issue.

Indeed, I've run betapacks off a little 6 channel DMX desk which only output the 6 channels, I would suspect the problem was something else.

Nearly all those showmaster style DMX controllers (transcension, botex, showtec etc) output less than the full 512 channels.

Indeed, I've run betapacks off a little 6 channel DMX desk which only output the 6 channels, I would suspect the problem was something else.

Nearly all those showmaster style DMX controllers (transcension, botex, showtec etc) output less than the full 512 channels.

Only commenting on what I've experienced. The DMX timming was within spec according to the microscope and the only difference was the channel count. I too was surprised.

Putting another control system in that output the full compliment solved the problem with the erratic beahaviour of the Betapacks.

K

• 2 weeks later...

I've just bought the showmaster 48 and it's good. 24 channels for presets and 24 one to one patches plus 4 pages of 48 presets. One fader operates only at 30% but that's it. I got a deal with a case that is fixed to it and has cut outs for cabling and a pen/screwdriver pot!. All for around £250.00 Can't beat it. Kids in my school can programme it (its all on numbers) and the presets mean anyone can use a range of lighting designs easily. Really recommend it.

Jayne

I've just bought the showmaster 48 and it's good. 24 channels for presets and 24 one to one patches plus 4 pages of 48 presets. One fader operates only at 30% but that's it. I got a deal with a case that is fixed to it and has cut outs for cabling and a pen/screwdriver pot!. All for around £250.00 Can't beat it. Kids in my school can programme it (its all on numbers) and the presets mean anyone can use a range of lighting designs easily. Really recommend it.

Jayne

Was this recently from ebay?

All for around £250.00

Was this recently from ebay?

This desk brand new (with all faders working) from Thomann with a 3 year warranty is £230 and a DAP flightcase(*) is £49 so I hope for your ~£29 saving you've got a great support contract with it http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif

(*) With cable flap and "pen pot"(**) integrated in with the price.

(**) It's for the power supply...

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif

+1 for the Showmaster 48 with flightcase, we bought one a year ago to replace a Sirius - fantastic for school use on a budget.

It looks like a Cobra48 is being sourced and as far as I can tell from the downloaded manuals they appear to be the same thing operationally, in fact I've got a number of manuals now and many of them appear to be clones of each other.

The S/H Cobra Colourcontrol 48 has arrived, when I first plugged it in it appeared to be stuck in record but no record functions were available.

After several power recycles and 1/2 hour or so I was able to exit record, alter the 'MODE' etc and it seems fine now.

Is it likely this is the effect of a flat back-up battery? If fact is there a back-up battery in the unit? A very quick Google search came up inconclusive, I found a number of references to other desks but not this one.

I am a little surprised at how easy it has been to set, record and playback scenes on this style of desk.

The S/H Cobra Colourcontrol 48 has arrived, when I first plugged it in it appeared to be stuck in record but no record functions were available.

After several power recycles and 1/2 hour or so I was able to exit record, alter the 'MODE' etc and it seems fine now.

Is it likely this is the effect of a flat back-up battery? If fact is there a back-up battery in the unit? A very quick Google search came up inconclusive, I found a number of references to other desks but not this one.

Yes - there is a backup battery in side - I've not had to replace one for anyone so far but it looks like a small 4.6v Nicad battery so it probably did need an initial charge putting in but I'm very surprised that it needed it.

There was nothing stored in it so a flat battery could easily be the cause of that, its origin was a theatre or school and showing signs of plenty of use so I'd have expected something stored.

It will probably not get any use for a month or so, so I'll open it and see if I can check the voltage before powering again. Will it be easy to get to or will I wave to remove every knob and screw to get the pcb out?

Archived