AVO remote app on different network port to artnet

numberwrong

Hello

I did a show the other week with a tiger Touch 2 (V10) running artnet from one of the network ports. When it came to focus I plugged my TPlink wireless access point to the second network port on the desk but I couldn't get the remote to work, the app didn't see the desk.

I was running the v10 app, the phone was definitely connected to the access point and I tried manual ip addresses as well as DHCP on the desk.

I didn't have much time to try and get it working so just got someone to push buttons on the desk in the end, any ideas?

Can you run the remote on the separate network port in a different IP range or do you have to run your wireless access point off the same port as the artnet by using a switch?

I'm not sure about this, the 2nd network port is a separate ethernet adapter in the console, it's not like a hub output linked to the other port. I don't know how the Titan software handles this for the remote - I've only ever set it for Artnet output. Being a separate port it has a different IP setting to the other network port - when you were setting IP on the desk were you definitely setting that 2nd port (this may be a silly question but just checking we have covered all the possibilities). It may be that the Titan software only connects to the remote on the main port.

Maybe a question for Avo support...

When I first plugged in my wireless access point I'm pretty sure the port was in 2.x.x.x.x range which would match port 1 running the artnet. It didn't work first time so I manually changed it to 192.168.0.x. I don't think I checked the subnet mask when it a was in the 2 range so it could have been that. In hindsight it would make sense the 2 x ports should be in the same IP range.

Interesting. Even back in the 90s it was common knowledge that there were only three ranges that are private : 10.x.x.x 172.16.x.x to 172.31 x x and 192.168.x x and 2.x x.x was possibly I unassigned but never intended to be private, so using it as a private range as artnet does is akin to having a quick listen in a vhf radio for a quiet bit of spectrum and assigning it tk an application and expecting it to remain free.

The first reason you should never use 2.x.x.x (2.0.0.0/8) IP addresses is that your phone, tablet, Mac and PC all know that it's Public Internet and so will apply Public Internet rules.

Which means that it often simply doesn't work at all with phones, tablets, Macs and PCs - the firewall goes into paranoid mode, and/or it fires up the cellular data to talk to 2.x.x.x IPs because that IP range must be on the link that has a connection to Apple/Google/Microsoft.

On phones (and similar) it tends to really confuse the network stack having two routes to the same 2.x.x.x IP address - especially as they're completely different devices!

The other reason is that 2.x.x.x was "Reserved DO NOT USE" from 1981 until 2009, when it became Public Internet.

It should never have been used for this purpose at all, and these days trying to use it will often fail.

A few people in France (probably near Nice) and Russia are probably extremely irritated with the hundreds of people throwing data at their household router!

Lighting consoles (usually) have these features specifically disabled to allow 2.0.0.0/8 to work for Art-DMX, but it really should never be used.

RFC 1918 lists the IP ranges available for private networks:

10.0.0.0/8

172.16.0.0-172.31.0.0/16

192.168.x.0/24

Then there's automatic link-local - 169.254.1.1 to 169.254.254.254/16 - which most network devices will use when set to Auto/DHCP and DHCP itself fails to get an IP.

Finally, it is quite likely that you cannot have both NICs on the console in the same subnet.

It's generally not allowed to have two NICs in the same subnet (same logical network) but a different physical network as the routing can't be determined - if the NICs are 10.101.1.1/16 and 10.101.1.2/16, which NIC can talk to 10.101.1.3?

Archived