Tungston vs LED Query

michaelyallop

.... Therefore the light level from a single source is not as bright as an incandescent. I'm not sure why I didn't see this a little earlier.

Because there is more smoke and mirrors in the marketing material than there is on a Pink Floyd concert ;-)

.... Therefore the light level from a single source is not as bright as an incandescent. I'm not sure why I didn't see this a little earlier.

Because there is more smoke and mirrors in the marketing material than there is on a Pink Floyd concert ;-)

Ha. Yes.

This is what a typical 40W RGBW cob looks like. You can see how all the colours are grouped together....

http://sc01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1oayGLVXXXXbSXXXXq6xXFXXXU/high-power-COB-LED-40W-rgbw-led.jpg

Thanks for this. Its been a fairly interesting discussion.

I am interested in how these COB fixtures compare with an LED array.

For example how does a 60w COB compare in brightness to 7 x 15w array?

Tim

You cannot compare the brightness of any LED fixtures by looking at the wattage, it's completely meaningless.

It's also relatively pointless to compare the specifications of the LED chips used, as the drivers, heatsinks and optics have a very significant effect.

You can only compare complete fixtures - and even then it's very hard, because even if the beam shape is the same, lumens (and lm/W) still don't tell the whole story!

LED fixtures produce different results at different nominal colours, so the brighter/more efficacious fixture depends on the colours you are comparing - assuming both fixtures are even physically capable of reaching a similar colour in the first place!

Archived