Neutrik rip offs

robocow

For what it's worth, I've swapped out the seetronic connectors on the chauvet kit that we've bought for proper Powercons, mainly in the interests of compatibility with our other kit that's all Powercon in/out. It would be so much more helpful if Chauvet just used the 'standard' connectors!

It would be nice if manufacturers could use industry standard connectors on all kit.

My biggest pet hate is lighting fixtures that have only 3 pin on them. It may seem petty but it's a big annoyance for us techs having to mess around with all different types of cable!

Over the years, connectors always seemed to make the actual pins and mating surfaces able to be reproduced to encourage takeup of a new design - after all, Canon, Switchcraft and Neutrik have always had inter-brand compatibility. Speakons have become quite common in Chinese made items, but apart from the colour, the designs are different enough. The Chinese Powercons I've used for a couple of years now haven't caused me any grief, and seem to mate properly. The only thing I have found is that rough treatment of the chassis connectors can rip out the wipers - not something I've ever found a Neutrik doing.

I bought 100 3 Pin XLRs from China and they were surprisingly good - easy to use and pretty tough.

IRW - were the Chauvet Powercons a problem with genuine Powercon cables?

Amphenol seem to be making Neutrik 'inspired' connectors now - XLR, Speakon & Powercon http://www.amphenolaudio.com/products/power/cable-connectors-mounts/hp-series/

Prolights are pretty blatant about their use of knockoffs:

I wonder if the design rights have lapsed?

I'll only buy the real deal, whilst they are more expensive it's because they've put the hours into R&D whereas all the other products seem to have started by taking apart a Neutrik...

IRW - were the Chauvet Powercons a problem with genuine Powercon cables?

I'm not sure- to be honest, I didn't even try as the power in hole was standard D-size anyway, so that was a straight swap, although the out was nothing like any sort of powercon connector I've come across, and I had to make adapter plates to fit white powercon panel mount to. If I think on tomorrow, I'll did out one of the original connectors and try a powercon in it.

Archived