betapack 2 problem

gnomatron

hi!

I have a betapack two that seems to work ok for the most part (responds to DMX, power works as expected etc...) but the dimmer curve seems really strange. With a par 64 I get no output at all until I hit 50% on the DMX controller - it's a simple Martin controller with no curves or funny stuff, and I get a fairly normal curve with a betapack 1 and the same controller and lamp. The dimmer seems physically quite noisey but maybe that's normal. Anyone have any ideas? as far as I know there's no curve settings on the dimmer itself?

Or is it a pair of channels? If so, which ones? This has the potential to be a very 'off-the-shelf' problem that has a relatively easy fix, but that depends on the answer to mine and boatman's questions!

Hello,

On Betapack 2s the dimmer curves are directly affected by the Preheat level. For optimum theatrical dimmer curve, the Preheat LEDs need to be just on the verge of visible. These are adjusted with a small flat-head screwdriver.

This could be your problem, as having the Preheat right down (fully counter-clockwise) does result in an almost relay-like curve.

Keep us updated!

Edward

It's the same on all channels. I did have the preheat all the way down, so that might be the bother. Cheers for the help folks, I'll try adjusting the preheat and see what happens..!

Have a look at the manual before tweaking the preheat pots- there's a very specific way to do it involving having a lamp plugged in and setting the channel to 10% IIRC. Don't rely on the onboard LEDS as stated above.

Ian

Have a look at the manual before tweaking the preheat pots- there's a very specific way to do it involving having a lamp plugged in and setting the channel to 10% IIRC. Don't rely on the onboard LEDS as stated above.

Ian

Never heard of this before, and can't find this in the manual, certainly works for me having the indicator LEDs just about glowing on.

Edward

Sorry, doesn't seem to be in the manual, but it's in various places on the Zero 88 Forums.

See post #10 here. This is the 'proper' way to set the preheats on BP2's- I think the idea is that you get a much better 'resolution' from something like a par lamp than the onboard LED!

Archived