Super Bowl halftime show

nikkicallaghan

just seen the lady gaga show at Super Bowl.

Amazing show. It still amazes me they can do the changeover so fast

I noticed all the fake crowd were holding hand held leds I assume controlled by wireless DMX

How the hell do they manage it as there looked like hundreds of these devices?

I don't know the details of this particular show, but a recent Coldplay tour used a system which had infrared video projection onto the crowd. Colour information is encoded into the projection as a slow serial data stream. Each LED device has an infrared reciever which sees the signal from the projector and it lights up the appropriate colour. This means that it does not matter where people stand, because the colour mapping comes from the fixed projected signal.

Don't know if this one was done like that, but it is a clever way of solving the problem.

See www.xylobands.com

This is a comment by Chris Conti, taken from a Facebook lighting group-

I was the system tech. I had 100 universes. 45 Artnet, 55 sACN. There was 13 rack positions linked with over 10,000 feet of Fiber optic cable. 2 of the rack positions were under the stage so we had 6 1/2 minutes to plug up over 50 connections.

We also had a pair of V676 consoles that were driving the bulk of the movers, and a pair of MA's that drove the Hippos that feed the Glowmotion stuff and all the LED under the stage.

Imagine the amount of paperwork for that event, fixture and cable plans for days!

I don't know the details of this particular show, but a recent Coldplay tour used a system which had infrared video projection onto the crowd.

There are some shows that have used the IR control approach, but afaik Coldplay / Xylobands use WiFi based signals.

I don't know the details of this particular show, but a recent Coldplay tour used a system which had infrared video projection onto the crowd.

There are some shows that have used the IR control approach, but afaik Coldplay / Xylobands use WiFi based signals.

Yes you're right, what product am I thinking of then? It seemed like such a neat trick when I read about it.

After much googling, the product I was thinking of is Pixmob, and the event I was trying to remember was Eurovision last year.

While the LED device is in the venue it works under the control of the IR projectors in the lighting system, then afterwards when people take them home they go into a self-controlled mode till the battery goes flat.

Archived